Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adam961

F525 died with no warning.

adam961
9 years ago

Was on my mothers F525 today and she was purring along. All of a sudden, it just died; no sputtering or anything. Plenty of gas, I'm thinking the ignitor has gone bad. When turning the key the dash lights come on but the solenoid is not clicking at all. Will a bad ignitor not allow the solenoid to engage?

Also, I installed a starter relay kit a month ago and she fires up every time; no Kawasaki click. Checked all the connections of it and everything is fine.

Really appreciate any help.

Adam

This post was edited by Adaml961 on Sun, Jan 18, 15 at 18:51

Comments (7)

• tomplum
    9 years ago

Maybe you have a blown fuse. Double check the work done last for a worn through wire ish kind of thing. Are you able to crank the engine via the screen on top? The igniter will affect the spark, but not the cranking.

• adam961
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Should have mentioned I did check the fuses. Not sure what you mean by crank the engine via the screen on top?

All the wires and connections from the recently installed wire relay kit look fine.

So, it should still try to crank with a bad igniter? If that's the case I have no idea where to look next.

Thanks Tom

• tomplum
    9 years ago

Meaning the screen on the top of the engine. The screen is attached to the engine flywheel. Are you unable to roll the engine via the screen? I don't think that I have a schematic for these. Thinking out loud here:If something were to lose power and make it die- it would likely be the solenoid below the carb. In itself, not in the crank circuit which is why I asked about the fuses. If the engine is movable via that screen, it would be useful to look for schematic. Cover your bases on things like battery connections being clean, battery load tested- maybe even undo your relay temporarily to see if you can get it to crank. At least I take that the relay kit you installed was the starting improvement kit.

• adam961
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tom. I'll give your suggestions a try tomorrow and report back.

• adam961
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the help Tom. Your suggestions led me to discover the problem. The yard is rather large and quite bumpy in some areas. The safety switch under the seat had been bypassed with a wire and the jumper wire has a short in it. She fired right up after I moved the wire. Going to replace it today.

Thanks again.

• tomplum
    9 years ago

Kudos to you. Isn't it great when a fix is so simple? Hopefully smooth sailing from here on.

• adam961
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Indeed it is. Thanks again Tom.

P.S. The starter relay kit sure works greats. Fires up every time now; no more Kawasaki click.

This post was edited by Adaml961 on Mon, Jan 19, 15 at 21:18

Sponsored