Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
virginia_parsons_gw

My Cub Cadet is a Lemon!

virginia_parsons
17 years ago

Here's a letter I recently sent to Home Depot and other interested parties regarding my Cub Cadet Garden Tractor (one of the worst purchases I have ever made):

December 30, 2006

Mr. Frank Blake

Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer

The Home Depot, Inc.

2455 Paces Ferry Road

Atlanta, GA 30309-4024

Dear Mr. Blake:

On or about May 13, 2006 I purchased a Cub Cadet Garden Tractor (Series 1500 Hydrostatic Garden Tractor Model GT1554 with a 27HP Kohler Engine) from The Home Depot store in Kahului, Maui, Hawaii. I had originally been considering a John Deere model, however, my decision to purchase the Cub Cadet was based on the recommendations and assurances of The Home Depot sales associate assisting me.

Your sales associate explained that the Cub Cadet garden tractor was superior in every way to a comparable John Deere unit. He assured me that if I did encounter any problems, the unit would be repaired onsite, even though my home was located over fifty miles away, in the town of Hana, Hawaii. He then explained that Home Depot was conducting a special promotion between Mothers and FatherÂs Day and that there would be no interest or payments for twelve months. I had him call my husband and reiterate all of this in a telephone conversation before I made the purchase.

Unfortunately, not one of the statements has proven to be true.

The operation of the Cub Cadet has been a nightmare. Before we could even use it, one of the front tires became flat. I pumped air into the tire and searched, to no avail, for a leak. A friend of ours was in town and we asked him to go by The Home Depot and talk to them about the tire. The associate he spoke with said that was not unusual for those tires to go flat and said that we could try a can of "leak stop" or put an inner tube in the tire. When asked if we could purchase a new tire, the associate said they didnÂt keep anything like that in stock and we would have to order it direct from Cub Cadet.

Within sixty days an even worse problem occurred. While mowing, one of the outside cutting blades (there are three blades on the cutting deck) dropped off of the deck. We searched and searched and finally found the nut. After removing the mowing deck to reinstall the dropped blade, we noticed that the middle blade was loose. A further inspection showed that the "star" prongs on the spindle shaft were completely stripped, so that the blade could not be fully locked or tightened to the shaft. My husband called a friend in the lawnmower repair business and he said it was apparent that the blades had not been properly tightened before the unit was delivered to us. We then contacted The Home Depot store about a replacement shaft and were told we would have to contact Cub Cadet directly. My husband went to the Cub Cadet online website and found the needed part. When he tried to order it directly from Cub Cadet, a page came up stating that Cub Cadet did not make online parts sales to Hawaii residents. As a result, we have had to mow our lawn with no middle blade, a process that takes twice as long as it should. Furthermore, about a month ago the unit began to shoot flames from its exhaust and stopped operating altogether. Now it wonÂt even turn over when we try to start it.

Doug Williams, one of The Home Depot managers suggested I call Allied Machinery in Kahului, as they repaired lawn equipment for The Home Depot. I called and left messages, but never received a return call from Allied. I called Mr. Williams again and he gave me a number for Cub Cadet, which I called. A Cub Cadet representative suggested that I call Lear-Maui in Kihei, Hawaii for repair assistance. My husband spoke with a person at Lear-Maui about our problems with the unit and was told that the problems were not warranty-related, that they would not repair anything onsite, and that "The Home Depot tells people anything to make the sale and they have the worst service and warranties in the business." We asked him if he could order the spindle shaft and he stated that it would take weeks to get the part because Cub Cadet was notoriously slow to send out parts and difficult to work with.

I called Mr. Williams again and he had an associate place a call to Allied. I was told that Allied would repair the unit, but I would have to deliver it to their location in Kahului. This, unfortunately, is contrary to what the sales associate originally stated to my husband and me.

Adding insult to injury, in November, I received my monthly bill from The Home Depot with interest posted and a payment due on the Cub Cadet purchase. Apparently, the twelve-months no interest/no payment deal had been entered as six-months no interest/no payment. In a call to The Home Depot Customer Service, I was assured that this would be corrected, however, the December bill shows finance charges of $333.47 and a minimum payment due of $206.00. This is a classic example of "bait and switch" as well as false advertising.

Notwithstanding the credit fiasco, it is apparent at this point that the Cub Cadet unit I was sold is a "lemon." Therefore, I would like to return the garden tractor and the attachments I purchased for a full refund on my Home Depot Credit Card of $3,967.93 with no assessed interest or payments due. I will then consider the purchase of a comparable unit. I would also like to emphasize that Mr. Williams has been the most helpful and considerate Home Depot employee I have spoken with during this entire dilemma. While he hasnÂt been able to correct the problem, he has worked with me in trying to offer some kind of satisfaction.

Over the years, the companies I own, as well as I, personally, have spent thousands of dollars at The Home Depot stores in Hawaii. In the past, when there was a problem, I returned the merchandise and was given a refund or credit with no questions asked. I am hoping that policy is still in effect.

Sincerely,

Virginia Parsons

cc:

Aaron Gomez, Store Manager

The Home Depot

100 Pakaula Street

Kahului, HI 96732

State of Hawaii, Office of Consumer Protection

Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs

235 South Beretania Street, Room 801

Honolulu, HI 96813-2419

Herbert V. Kohler, Jr., Chairman, CEO and President

Kohler Company

444 Highland Drive

Kohler, WI 53044

Curtis E. Moll, Chairman and CEO

MTD Products, Inc

5965 Grafton Rd.

Valley City, OH 44280

Comments (76)

• jamie_ob_fl
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It's not a bad idea to check over a new mechanical gadget thoroughly if you have the means or can have someone else do it.

Vehicles, LT's and other stuff are put together by people, and people make mistakes, forget stuff, and get interrupted during tasks. Some might even be hungover or in a lot of stress. Some are just lazy and don't care.

I bought a new Jeep CJ7 in 1977 and drove it somewhere around 12,000 miles. Roads, woods, mud, sandy whoop-de-doos, and all kind of terrain.

Went to change the air filter...guess what...none there!

Their fault, sure. Their responsiblity to fix the motor if it had gone bad, sure...in my mind. Could I prove they left it out and they'd fix it, I doubt it. Fortunately it never developed into a problem and I put 120,000 on it before selling it.

Check your stuff, within reason. I wouldn't fire my new mower up without checking the blades...no way.

If you can't do it, buy from a reputable dealer who can... and will.

• colt357_2004
    17 years ago

Jamie you have a good point, as do the others that state you should always check your equipment before operating it.
    I re read the original post and she didn't say if they delivered it, or put it in her truck or on a trailer and away she went.
    I had asked my boss if I could use one of the company trailers to pick up my new mower. He said no problem, then recommended, letting them deliver it. They do set up, add the oil, check the unit over etc. At least some places do.
    That way he explained, I would have recourse, should something be wrong with it, out of the box, per se.
    Bottom line is, the "Deal" should be in writing. The part about who fixes it, and where, as well as the no interest for 12 months etc.
    I wonder where her husband was? Maybe his back is bad like mine, or he was just busy, but I wouldn't let my wife go make a major purchase like a lawn tractor, without me.
    A woman should be able to get the same deal and service as a man,but unfortunatly, that does not always happen.
    I always begin a situation like this being nice. I have found that to work more often than not. Sometimes I even convince the mgr or service tech, that it was his idea to make me happy.
    That didn't work at my Dodge dealer, but that's a subject for another forum.

• nine7xbam
    17 years ago

Another satisfied customer of Home Cheapo and yet another reason to buy from a reputable dealer . But the question no one seems to asking is why someone who 'owns' companies would have to buy a tractor on credit from a discount big box store ? HD started out by paying knowledgeable people a decent wage , but now hire dumb teenagers on the cheap who are lucky if they know where the lawn equipment is in the store , let alone how to assemble it . Better to negotiate a price from a dealer , who also offers payment plans with interest free terms . Especially on a garden tractor costing over 3K !

• eal51
    17 years ago

A little food for thought on this thread.

None of us are experts in everything - though some may believe they are.

Some of us are jacks of all trades and have real knowledge in a wide variety of areas. Most of us don't.

Bottom line, if you do not have the knowledge of something, go to those who do!

For the most part, the big box stores do not have the knowledgable people selling lawn tractors. Go to a reputable dealer, discuss your needs and listen to their recommendations.

Enjoy the journey.

eal51 in western CT

• wheely_boy
    17 years ago

Why do people assume that because you "own" a company you must be flush with cash??

Home Depot+Cub Cadet=Bad Experience

• nine7xbam
    17 years ago

Actually she claimed to own 'companies' - more than one . And that sounded like total BS to me because a few grand for a GT is hardly being loaded with cash for someone who owns companies . Unless they're all going bankrupt at the same time ! Maybe her plan all along was to use the GT all season long , claim it is a complete lemon then demand a total refund . A friend who used to work at Sears says people do that every year , hence the discounted used machines at Sears after mowing season . Since she won't respond to her own thread we'll never know .

• butchs_hobby
    17 years ago

Something did kinda smell fishy about her post when I reread it. I own a small auto repair shop, plan to buy a new tractor(2305Jd or 2310MF) and I'll pay cash for it. I hear horror stories every day of people getting charged ridiculous prices for auto trans work and I wonder how the guy running that shop can sleep at night. I found out long-long ago that the best policy is to charge fair prices, do good work, and above all--be honest with people. My shop stays busy when others around me are complaining about no work, I just grin because I know the reason!

• constantinotobio
    17 years ago

butch-

A crooked mechanic will charge a bundle and rip off their customer, who will never come back

An honest mechanic might not make a huge profit on a particular job, but that customer will be back and make up for what he could have made by bring crooked and then some.

You, sir, are sadly one of the rare few. I know all too well having sold auto parts to repar shops for a number of years. There were some shops I absolutely loved (I worked on commission), but they were the last shops I would ever take my car to.

• tractorlarry
    17 years ago

This person has posted this on several forums and as far as we can tell has not re-visited a one of them.

• grivera
    17 years ago

Interesting story. Last month, I bought a used CC LT-1050 with 3 bin bagger and 50 miles on the clock from a friend for $1050.00 (he bought it from Lowes). He purchased an xmark to relplace it because the CC's blade pto only worked when it felt like it.

As soon as I got it, i read the manual and learned it still had 4 months left on the 2 year manufacture's warranty--which happens to be redeemable at several local CC dealers. The first year of the warranty covers transportation to and from a repair center within a specified mile radius. I took mine to one of the local centers and they fixed it [under warranty] by replacing the pto relay and key switch. Moral of my post, read your manual and utilize you warranty.

• machiem
    17 years ago

"50 miles on the clock"

I hope that was a play on words...

• tom_k_de
    17 years ago

Perhaps ,"50 hours on the clock aka,hourmeter"..TBK

• grivera
    17 years ago

oops, 50 hours on the clock IS what I meant, thanks for catching that.

• stripped_threads
    17 years ago

Speaking of dealer not doing there inspection. My wife received her Honda Civic brand new from Honda Ile Perrot with over 65 PSIG in all four tires.
    She drove the car for a while then started complaining saying "it drives like a tank, and now has a shake in the steering" I checked the tires and BAM, 65 PSIG. We broungt it back to the dealer and managed to even get 2 new tires put on the front as the actually got damaged from the over inflating. Actually we had to fight to get the new tires.
    Case in point, heep fighting them until it's rectified. They will eventually help you.

• radioguy4ever
    17 years ago

stripped threads, ile perrot, as in montreal?

• metal
    17 years ago

Your Cub Cadet is not a lemon, it just looks like one.

• virginia_parsons
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have received numerous calls from Home Depot (corporate office and local store), Kohler Company and MTD. The Cub Cadet is now in the shop being repaired. The billing snafu has been fixed and we're waiting for the repairs to be completed. All of the companies involved, especially Kohler, have been sympathetic and accommodating. Mahalo to those of you who offered constructive comments, suggestions and concern. Hopefully, the tractor will be repaired soon, because in Hawaii, the grass grows year round...and ours is getting higher and higher.

• constantinotobio
    17 years ago

Squeaky wheels get the greasing, it seems. Glad to see a positive followup on the issue.

• trobinett
    17 years ago

Yep, the squeaky wheel DOES get greased.

Unfortunately, it sounds like this person had NO Warranty issues.

If the flat tire was within 30 days, WARRANTY.

The "stripped" out star is the result of ABUSE. If the blade was LOOSE it would of presented itself within the first mowing.

The rest of her complaints are customer problems, brought on by poor maintenance.

American consumers have the "wal-mart" attitude, and are NOT willing to take responsibility for their own actions.

I feel NO sympathy, they are "bottom line" consumers, and if they truly wanted a good buying experience with their lawn and garden purchase, they would be buying from a dealer.

Got EXACTALLY what she deserved.

• wayne440
    17 years ago

Many of the so-called "dealers" around here have a similar attitude to that shown in the previous post. Then they wonder why people buy from (insert name of big retailer here) instead of them.

The first rule of (successful) retail is - the customer is always right, even when he is wrong. It takes months to build a habitual customer and minutes to lose one.

• wheely_boy
    17 years ago

Cub Cadet appologist or dealer???

• sporty_1974
    17 years ago

Gentleman.......and unfortunately I am putting that lightly. This owner of the cub cadet was looking for advice and not to be crucified. Unfortunately there were some precautionary steps that may have been missed. Instead of coming to a place where she thought maybe some helpful advice would be overwhelming she received nothing close to it.

If I were a betting man I am sure there are things that would have been done differently from the knowledge that has been given recently. Come on.......I thought this was a forum to help one another, not point the finger at the other..........that is unless we have never made a mistake before ourselves, then I completely understand.

• rdaystrom
    17 years ago

sporty_1974, You can keep your derogatory remarks about whether or not we are gentlemen. virginia_parsons original post was there for one reason only. It was written to get revenge on Home Depot and Cub Cadet for what she perceived as a lawn mower deal gone bad. She did not take the unit in to an authorized warranty repair facility. Her letter was a one sided history of the events. If she had simply read the warranty booklet and the finance agreement she would have realized what steps needed to be taken. Placing a call to a repair shop's answering machine is not enough. This is a forum that helps people with legit problems. It isn't a forum to shower someone with sympathy or condone their attempts to bash a company. If I purchase a mower and it breaks I have to take it in to an authorized warranty repair facility. Home Depot and similar companies do not have service departments!! Duh.

• castoff
    17 years ago

Posted by sporty_1974 IN-5 (My Page) on Sun, Jan 28, 07 at 19:20

Gentleman.......and unfortunately I am putting that lightly. This owner of the cub cadet was looking for advice and not to be crucified. Unfortunately there were some precautionary steps that may have been missed. Instead of coming to a place where she thought maybe some helpful advice would be overwhelming she received nothing close to it.
    If I were a betting man I am sure there are things that would have been done differently from the knowledge that has been given recently. Come on.......I thought this was a forum to help one another, not point the finger at the other..........that is unless we have never made a mistake before ourselves, then I completely understand.

Methinks you need to read the OP's post again.

I couldn't find any wording that indicated that she was looking for advice. If you can, then feel free to correct me.

What she did do is to join GW with the express purpose of posting the letter she sent to Kohler, MTD and Home Depot. She apparently joined two other forums in order to post the EXACT same message. I agree that forums are about people trying to help people but since she never asked for any help, we were left to conclude that she only wanted to embarrass the people she wrote to and to possibly bring them financial harm, based solely on her allegations.

All we know about the situation, is her side of the story and it doesn't mean that it's true just because she posted it here and two other places. And when someone does roam around the net, joining forums in order to post what she did, then what does that say about her?

This was an issue between her and Home Depot. They sold her the tractor, she had problems, she wrote to them but instead of waiting for a reply........ she chose to let as many people as possible know about the alleged problems.

Personally, I find what she did as being offensive. Coming on here and posting what she did was totally pointless and it had nothing to do with the spirit or intent of this forum or any other forum she posted to.

• sporty_1974
    17 years ago

rdaystrom and castoff,

I took your advice and re-read the postings, especially that of virginia's. I will man up and admit that I jumped to conclusions. I just got hung up in the middle section of the postings and forgot that there was no questions being asked just finger pointing.

I appreciate the spirit of this forum as well and look forward to learning something new every day. I agree she should have done many things differently.........especially posting that on this forum. Forgive me for upsetting anyone.......I continue to look forward to any and all advice in the future.

Have a good one!

• grivera
    17 years ago

posted like a gentleman!

• donniethreeton
    16 years ago

The zero-turn cub cadet has a design flaw in the front wheels. I won't take you into the incredible and frustrating saga of my proof. But to the guy who thinks some Home Depot person pops out into the driveway and airs up those tires, he's very WRONG. My local Home Depot has four (I took pictures of them today for my pending class action lawsuit) zero-turn mowers behind their store all of them with flat front tires off of the rims. It is virtually impossible to air them up once they have become unseated from the rim. The manager of the local Home Depot got so frustrated with trying to help me air them up that he just gave me a new one. He said people are always bringing them in like that. The new model has a front tire twice the size...obviously a measure to correct the original problem. I could write you an essay to prove to you that my information is completely accurate but it seems like these forums are based mostly on opinion rather than fact so I am unconcerned with any of your responses that take a knowledgable tone when you obviously don't know what you are talking about. I only hope that those who are having this same problem will email me and let our voices be heard on this matter. Enough skinned knuckles and tall grass. Let's have Cub Cadet recall these ill-built models...and fire that engineer!

• marineguy
    16 years ago

As anyone who has ever tried to reseat a tubeless tire on a wheelbarrow knows, just put a freakin' tube in it. If you run around with under-inflated tubeless tires on lawn equipment, the bead will become unseated. It's not rocket surgery.. or is it brain science?

• bill_in_nc
    16 years ago

I am at a loss as to why you dug out all this old post. What are you trying to say now? Is it your purpose to bash Cub Cadet and Home Depot? You wouldn't be on the John Deer payroll would you?

• metal
    16 years ago

Maybe it is just lb59 using a new name?

• jsharpscs
    16 years ago

"My local Home Depot has four (I took pictures of them today for my pending class action lawsuit) zero-turn mowers behind their store all of them with flat front tires off of the rims. It is virtually impossible to air them up once they have become unseated from the rim. The manager of the local Home Depot got so frustrated with trying to help me air them up that he just gave me a new one."

A class action lawsuit by some unknown "internet lawyer" who's "unconcerned with any responses that might take a knowlegable tone."

Home Depot keeping Cub replacement wheel assemblies in stock and giving them out for free.

I realized why I've started coming here more often. The comedy I find in the trolling... :D

• biodynamichawaii
    16 years ago

I AM IN THE EXACT SAME BOAT AS YOU VIRGINIA!!!!
    I live on the Big Island, bought a GT1554 $$3200. The first blade to fall off fell off at 11 hours operation. My wife found it while strolling around with her friends on our yard. We took the deck to the Hilo service center, JJ Lucas, and he found the middle one loose as well, and the star shaped cog stripped on both the missing and loose blade spindles. JJ Technician told me he had a rash of these recently and Home Depot had just started selling them. We have now replced 5 spindles and blades in 60 hours of use. JJ Lucas will not fix it under warrantee since the very first trip as he states CC WILL NOT PAY HIM FOR REPAIRS UNDER THE THREE YEAR WARRANTEE. When I picked this unit up at HD, the front tire WAS ALREADY FLAT AND THEY HAD TO GET A COMPRESSOR, HOSE AND CHUCK AND TIRE PSI GAUGE TO INFLATE IT, IT TOOK AN EXTRA 30 MINUTES TO PICK IT UP. I should have listended to my inner voice. But I was assured by HD and the THREE YEAR WARRANTEE....NOW THE BELT WILL NOT STAY ON..... THE BLADES GET LOOS EVERY 6 HOURS OF USE .... THE ELECTRIC PTO CLUTCH ENAGES ONLY AFTER A FEW TRIES.... WHAT A TRUE PIECE OF JUNK. I was a dealer technician, welder, mechanic for 20 years, have bought many tools and machines... this is the SINGLE WORST PURCHASE IN MY LIFE SO FAR.... THANKS TO VIRGINIA...I will write a similar letter today...did you get a reply yet? Bobby G on Big Island.....biodynamichawaii@gmail.com

• biodynamichawaii
    16 years ago

Gents, I did just join today. I am pissed off at CC AND HD. I should not have to remove the deck of a 54 inch mower to check the torque on the blade nuts the day I buy it. It would not matter anyway. The old tech, soft metal, poor fitting stars and cheap nuts do not have the holding power. The unit is junk.
    I have had to cut and 3/16ths inch out of the steering links, and re-weld them to get any adjustment to fix the toe-out. It was just pushing all over the place. I have put tubes in BOTH front tires. I have notched out the left side mower deck so the left front tire will not keep hitting it and getting WEDGED IN A FULL RIGHT TURN. Yes, wedged in the deck... the tire tread grabs it..Those thin rubber bushings that house the steering shafts at the gear plate are worn out at 30 hours, leave so much play, with the deck raised, and in thick grass on bumpy ground, the left tire would jam into the deck. My service dealer says no more warrantees on any CC. I went down last week for another spindle and blade and he had a new one there from HD, I needed service and had not even been delivered yet. I was just lloking for some sign there was someone else like me who had had it....thanks for listening.... I am going after my money back.....should I get a JD, Husky , Kubota or Craftsman...? Hawaii grass is brutal and never stops growing.....

• metal
    16 years ago

Start a new thread titled "Need Tractor Recommendation for Hawaii" and list info i.e. acres mowed, level/hilly, number of trees/obstacles, other chores tractor is needed for, etc. People will never find your post at the end of this thread.

• squaredude
    16 years ago

I just purchased a Cub LT 1050 from The Home Depot. It was a long comedy of errors on the part of the store I won't go into now because they have attempted to make things right. However I learned some things I would recommend to others who purchase riding mowers from The Home Depot (and probabley other DIY stores).

At this store they only kept one battery where the tractors were displayed. They would move that poor battery around from tractor to tractor until someone bought it. Trouble is it may not be the right battery for that model. Mine came with a 145 CCA battery where it should have been a 235 CCA. They also failed to give me the mulch plug, deck wash hose adapter, oil drain hose and extra key all of which the store manager delivered to my home this evening along with the right battery.

It wouldn't start initally, partly due to the (wrong) battery being dead but mainly because it must have never been run and wouldn't pick up the gas. I had to prime it by putting a few drops of gas directly into the air intake.

After finally starting it and letting it run for 20 minutes I found that there was a creamy, white substance on the oil dip stick and in the filler tube. There was water (condensation) in the oil. Oil won't stick to parts that have water on them. I replaced the oil and Cub is sending me two quarts and a filter free.

Virtually nothing on the machine had been greased. I've found 10 grease zerks that hadn't seen any grease at all.

The belt deck covers were solid rust on the bottom sides. I sanded and painted with oil base paint.

The transaxle pedal rod needs lock nuts on both sides of the connector to the pedal. As it is pressing the pedal will quickly wear out the threaded end of the rod and leave me stranded out in the middle of my property.

Apparently, The Home Depot does not "prep" these things. Indeed, the battery (wrong one) was just thrown onto the battery tray with the cables not tightened at all. I've been told the company tells the store managers to leave all these machines out in the weather so people can sit, feel and wish. However, their wheelbarrows, decorative stone and garbage cans live under cover!

I own an MTD walk behind mower and it is a good one but I was disappointed to hear today that MTD owns Cub. I was also disappointed to read in the operators manual that Kohler overrates the horsepower of their engines. Mine is sold as a 23 HP but I bet it is more like 18 or so.

I purchased the unit at The Home Depot because by opening a credit card account I could get a 10% discount on the mower. But, I think it would have been smarter to buy from a real dealer if I could find one.

Ray

• metal
    16 years ago

You can use that 10% you "saved" towards future parts and labor ; )

• squaredude
    16 years ago

Metal, that is a good idea, thanks.

Today I successfully put two 3/8" fine thread jam nuts on that pedal rod which tightened it up nicely. Now I have confidence that won't leave me stranded.

I also removed all three blade spindle nuts, applied the Permatex version of Loctite (blue) and torqued them to 90 ft. lbs. I'll keep a close eye on them from now on.

The manual calls for just 15 lbs. air in the front and only 10 in the rear. I wonder if 20 or 25 would be better for keeping the tire on the rim. My two wheel hand truck does that but only when the air gets low and it's a pain to re-inflate.

I've learned a lot from reading here. Thanks to all.

Ray

• constantinotobio
    16 years ago

The manual calls for just 15 lbs. air in the front and only 10 in the rear. I wonder if 20 or 25 would be better for keeping the tire on the rim. My two wheel hand truck does that but only when the air gets low and it's a pain to re-inflate.

It'll be at the cost of a hard ride, which will not only stress your own bones, but hard on parts of the machine (axles, bearings, steering parts.)

If your tire won't stay on the rim, something is wrong with the tire or the rim. An inner tube may help, but you've got a basic problem that might not take to a band-aid.

• squaredude
    16 years ago

Don't want to hijack the original message here but my thought was that it wouldn't be hard to lose just a little air pressure and have the tire deflate upon hitting the smallest bump or turn. At 10 lbs it wouldn't take much loss. And, as big and wide as those tires are I doubt it would ride hard. Just my opinion and I'll leave it there. Thanks,
    Ray

• metal
    16 years ago

If you do change the air pressure be sure to re-level the deck.

• biodynamichawaii
    16 years ago

Hello, I need a new tractor/Mower. We mow 2-3 acres, tough guinea grass, hilly terrain. Can get up hills with 2WD, nicer to have 4WD if not to cost prohibitive. I had an old craftsman for 15 years and it ran great and I beat it pretty hard. The junk CC GT1554 Is falling apart in all ways with 65 hours on it.
    Any recommendations are gratefully accepted, thanks in advance.
    Bobby

• soccer12_pa_metrocast_net
    12 years ago

In May of 2008, I bought a cub cadet zero turn (i1042) tractor from a dealer and it's been a horrible investment. Spent $2,700 plus tax on the tractor alone and in the last 3 years (warranty ends in a few days) there has been over $3,000 worth of warranty work and out of pocket work on the tractor. I will never buy a cub cadet again, from a dealer or box store. I can't believe it and I can't even find out who the CEO of cub cadet is so I can mail him a letter. If anyone knows, please tell me.

• homeownergreg
    10 years ago

My dad bought a mtd mower years ago from walmart in bennington, worked ok for at least fifteen years, but we had some problems also. Dad hit roots in back yard and bent blade and spindle, human error no warranty. Next, mower began quiting during operation, this was on warranty, chaffed wires.
    Before this machine dad had a craftman hydrostatic was ok, but the one before that was a Montgomery Ward 8 hp rider, this one hands down was the best machine, mowed smooth, even had a single stage snowblower that threw 45' if not farther. After many many years motor started smoking and dad got the bug for a new machine.
    In my life after watching my dad, I've been buying dealer equipment, 1987 john deere 855, 2005 Wright sentar zero turn mower, yes these were expensive, well the Wright was bought new, the john deere bought used up in granville, ny. i do most of the maintenance and repair on my equipment and dad. I do own a yardman snowblower from 1990 worked fine for years, and just recently transmission starting to give troubles, but I will work through.
    Advice, buy from a dealer if you can afford.

• wheely_boy
    10 years ago

Total lemon, don't you think RCBE?

• rcbe
    10 years ago

really can't say, rollergirl... but I can always look to you for advice on cracked batteries..

• wheely_boy
    10 years ago
  • rcbe
    10 years ago

interesting selfie there, rollergirl - color matches pretty good with yer ride, yes....

• Glnh2os
    9 years ago

As fate would have it, I discovered this forum while looking for a part for my 2006 Cub Cadet LT1045 lawn tractor. I didn't read all of the responses and can only speak from personal experience, but my 1045 is far from a lemon. In 8 years, I've used it weekly to cut my half acre yard during grass growing season in the southeast. For those outside of this area, that would be about 8 months out of the year. I also used it to maintain another half acre lot for 2 seasons, cut my dad's half acre yard 2 seasons and my daughter's quarter acre lot for one season. I've done all of the servicing on it myself and haven't been very consistent with that, changing the oil and filter only 2 times since I bought it. The spark plugs have been replaced once and that was last year and the air filter was replaced for the first time when the plugs were replaced. I've replaced the blades pretty much every year and the deck belt about every two years. I believe I'm on my third battery. With that said, the only non maintenance repairs I have made is replacing one of the shaft/bearing assemblies on the cutting deck, replaced the mulch plug, and as of now I'm about to replace the stator. This tractor resides under my back deck, uncovered at all times when I'm not using it. Because of that, I need a new seat. It's the best investment in lawn care equipment I ever made.

• BadBoyMowerParts
    9 years ago

Buy a Bad Boy and get away from the cheap stuff.

• rcbe
    9 years ago

BBMP - Ain't nothin like a big 'ol troll - you related to roller girl by chance?

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts