Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blktiger

Ariens Riding Mower - Gas won't drain?

blktiger
12 years ago

Hi guys. I was out of the country for an extended period of time and my bother forgot to drain the gas tank for the winter of our Ariens Riding Mower.

The last time it was on was probably end of August and I tried to turn the engine on last week (Mid January) but as expected it didn't turn.

I then drained the gas tank the way I usually do. By taking out the hose that runs from the gas tank to the engine. I drained it through the fuel filter.

For some stupid reason I then decided to add in what I thought was fresh gas (it was actually left over gas from August.. doh!).. I wanted to see if the engine would start. But it wouldn't start despite cranking it a hundred times..

I wanted to drain out the fuel that I just added but for some reason it just won't come out.. I unpluged the hose that goes from the fuel filter to the engine (where I usually drain it from) and nothing comes out.. Nothing..

Even as I was cranking the engine the fuel filter did not fill up with fuel.. I added at least 2 gallons of fuel (most likely more) so I know there is fuel in there.. I can see it too!

But the dam thing just isn't draining, and I have no idea why.

Any help please.. Home Depot is asking too much to come out and take a look and I would like to avoid it if I could, mostly because I feel like it is something simple.

P.S. I bought the tractor new 2 summers ago.

Thank you so so much for all your help guys! I really appreciate it :)

Comments (4)

• bill_kapaun
    12 years ago

Could there be water in the line that has actually frozen?

IF not, what happens if you loosen the gas cap?

I'd probably replace the fuel filter if the above didn't work.

• mownie
    12 years ago

In this particular scenario I would think that the carb inlet needle valve has become stuck in the closed position (varnish formation from stale gas) and that will not allow any fuel to move into the hose leading from tank to carb.
    Appears that the carb may need to be cleaned out with spray carb cleaner.

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

Stick a needle in the breather hole of the gas cap! Or, take the cap off, and then open the lower end of the gas line. See if gas comes out. Also--make sure there is fuel in the tank! (Stranger things have happened) Then check the oil level in the engine. The gas may have all drained into the engine block, causing a hydraulic lock.
    Do you suppose that some wag, trying to trick you--may have stuck something in the rubber gas line to plug it up?!
    Altho--the gummy needle valve scenario could be the whole problem, which would be the first thing to check.

• rcmoser
    12 years ago

I don't know it you model has fuel pump or not. IF not the tank should be higher than the engine? Well, Not that uncommon when mower sets. This is what I would Do>

remove the gas line front the tank up to the fuel filter lower it gas should poor out. If not you have and obstruction in the tank or hose. Now that you got gas up to the fuel filter. remove the hose after the fuel pump (If you have one?) if not gas goes directly to the carb. and gravity feed supplys fuel to the needl and seat in the carb. bowl) With fuel pump hose remove at the carb. crank the engine over catching any fuel in can that might be pumping out. Fuel coming out? attch hose to carb. Now you can PRIME the engine for starting. I never attempt to start an engine that's being setting without priming it. (to do full prime remove the spark plug or plugs. connect and crank engine to see if you have good spark. GOt spark, then using carb. cleaner spray 3 to 4 second blast of carb. cleaner down spark plug hole. Crank then engine over (outside with spark plug wire away from spark plug hole so it won't ground out and light the carb. cleaner) Crank the engine for 3 or 4 seconds to blow out excess carb. cleaner that hasn't evaporated.

Put the spark plugs back in, remove the air cleaner and spray carb. cleaner down the carb. venturi (opening) one to two seconds. Now you have the engine primed to start and it should fire within 5 seconds. If not repeat spraying carb. cleaner down the carb. Now that you got it firing off the carb. cleaner and it dies (make take two or three times for it to take off on gas due to air trapped in the fuel system.

If that fails then I would remove the carb. bowl and spray the needle and seat.. This works on any gasoline engine and I have rarely failed to get any gas engine started reguardless how long it set.

Basic as suggested you have to get fuel to the carb. before you have chance to get it started by priming it. If it don't run off gas just priming fluid then you have to figure out why gas won't got through the carb. and run on it's own. which as suggested needle stuck to the seat or the jet passages are plugged up.

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions