Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattyruch

Request for advice/information on Simplicity Regent 4111

mattyruch
9 years ago

Hello all. I was doing an internet search and found this site and it seemed very helpful with good folks, so I'll give this a go.

I am back in possession of a garden tractor that my mum purchased (used) it 1979 and I spent literally hundreds (probably thousands) of hours on it as a boy.

Specs: It's a Simplicity Regent 4111 (11 horsepowers/25 CID Briggs and Stratton engine) with a Peerless 657 transaxle.

Specific Problems/Searches: The transaxle 'pops out' of second gear (three speeds plus reverse). Some of the plastic is damaged (the grille was broken by me when I ran into my mother's 1979 Hornet) and now the gear lever cover is broken and the seat is completely knackered.

Questions:
1) Does anyone have a source for a functional Peerless 657 transaxle?
2) Does anyone know of a source for a seat/grille/seat?
3) Are there any feasible options to replace the original 11 HP engine with a modern replacement that will be a virtual 'bolt in' process?

Thank you in advance. I have attached a pic of the tractor when I took possession of it last month. I don't see a way to post more pics to show the 'rejuvenation' but it's coming along nicely

Comments (19)

• mattyruch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a look on where I'm at now...I put the original transaxle back in for now. I did put some LucasOil in the transaxle along with some fresh 90 weight.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    9 years ago

I've attached a link to the Peerless site, you may be able to download a manual for that trans, and/or they may have a newer replacement available.

You might be able to find a "similar" seat at your local TSC or equivalent.

Vertical Shaft engines are readily available, download the info on the engine from the Briggs site and get dimensions to assist in shopping. You might check out Power Horse engines, Honda Clone from China which has some very good reviews and seem to "drop in" to all kinds of things.

Looks like a fun trip down memory lane.

Good luck,

Ev

Here is a link that might be useful: Peerless site

• mattyruch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ev-
    Thank you very much, kind sir.
    Emails sent to the suggested websites.
    M

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    9 years ago

Just found out that power horse only offers horizontal engines.

Sorry,

Ev

• tomplum
    9 years ago

The new engine will be an OHV. This will bolt on fine but if you want the same style muffler- that will be an added issue. Some engines come with an above chassis muffler pre-installed. There may be some odds and ends to deal with like wiring. Maybe a donor machine is available economically enough. Single cylinder Inteks are everywhere.

• mattyruch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ev and Tom...thank you.
    Peerless replied and confirmed that no replacement transaxles are available and their suggestion was for me to continue to look for a replacement. They said some parts are available, but I'd need to open it up to work out what was needed....and then there's doubt whether or not they'd have the perishables that would be needed to put it back together.

I am waiting on a reply back on the seat company....they asked for details and I passed the dimensions back to them....maybe I'll have a good option tomorrow.

The engine....well, it appears that the company I emailed has a rep that doesn't read very well as he sent me an option for a pull start engine...maybe my clarified reply will help him understand that it has a starter....
    sigh....

• mattyruch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, this is about as far as I've gotten today....

• gewf631
    9 years ago

Don't know where you're located, or if you tried, but seems you can always find something on Craigslist. Maybe a reasonable donor machine, or someone parting-out a similar machine.

There's also a ton of places out there that deal in used parts. Do a search for 'boneyard' or 'scrap' or 'used'

One other possibility, is to call a local small engine repair shop. A lot of them don't bother with stuff like this, but there's the occasional shop that takes an interest to keeping the old machines running, and may be able to offer some assistance.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Google search of all of Craigslist for Simplicity Regent

• mattyruch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you again for the info. The engine shops that sell new (modern) engines were....well, what's the opposite of 'helpful'...
    I am re-doing the existing engine with an electronic ignition system.
    I made a universal type seat fit and I repaired the shift lever cover. It's not bril, but it looks pretty good...surely better than it was.
    A replacement grille will finish the cosmetics and I'm still looking for a Peerless 657 transaxle.

• tomplum
    9 years ago

I have to say that you have come a long way here in short amount of time. I think that you have it in you to pull this t/a and fix it up. These aren't horrible to disassemble and clean up like the newer ones w/ the bentonite in them. Chances are you will find what you need on Ebay. There are service manuals online to boot. Maybe you will be fortunate enough to flip a gear or two and put a new key inside. Lookin' good so far!

• mattyruch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's where I am now. I've done a mend to the grille...certainly not perfect, but it's okay. I should have the engine rebuilt in a week or so.
    I'm still looking for a transaxle, but am anxious to see how the heavier oil works.

• tomplum
    9 years ago

Looking good! don't forget the hub caps to keep the dirt out.

This post was edited by tomplum on Sun, Feb 8, 15 at 21:43

• mattyruch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Never came with hubcaps, Tom.....at least they weren't on there in 1979....am I missing something? PS engine should be ready next week.

• tomplum
    9 years ago

Dirt getting in between the front wheel bushing and spindle create wear. It may have not had them, it may have made it thus far unscathed- so the question is do you want them? Most of the more current tractors had them, but in the back of my mind - I think that your wheel hub is a smaller diameter than the common ones today which tend to interchange. I know, chromies!

• mattyruch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tom, I wish you and I were neighbours!

• mattyruch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Engine in....but....

• mattyruch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The builder put the head studs at the top of the head instead of at the bottom where the muffler bolts on. I threaded new nuts on the studs to show where they installed them....so I'm at a pausing point.

• tomplum
    9 years ago

Man- header paint and all! It's looking good, but I'm thinking a chrome spark plug cover would fit right in with those chrome wheel covers.... :)

• mattyruch
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

So, it's all finished. I had it out yesterday for an ops check. It cut effortlessly thru thick wet grass. It's headed up back to my Aunt's ranch for duty in a couple weeks.

The engine builder advised to remove two studs at a time to swop them to install the muffler. That worked fine.

The transaxle (with an oil change and the thicker Lucas product) now holds second gear at half throttle and above.

The bigger front tyres allow it to climb easily over small obstacles, yet there's enough clearance for the steering and mower deck.

Thanks all for the words and encouragement.