Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

Tractor starter-wrong rotation.

rustyj14
9 years ago

As I have been known locally as a lawn tractor fixer, a guy asked me if it needed a new starter. I asked him why, and he said the starter revolved under electric, but no start. Then I found he had connected the battery backwards. Fixed that problem, and it started ok. Good thing I came along--saved him a pile of moola!
Then he got a newer tractor, and had trouble with the mower deck. I took the deck home and fixed it, then brought it back to his place. Had to install it in his front yard, with his wife helping. Since most everybody locally knows me, I figured his wife could help, so there we both were working on getting the deck back on the tractor. Of course, umpteen lebenty seven folks drove past, and figured it was their civic duty to inform everybody that We were cavorting in the grass! I had to do some fast talking when I got home. RJ

Comments (16)

• tomplum
    9 years ago

That's hilarious! But really Rusty, it's never to late to start spicing up that reputation of yours!

• wheely_boy
    9 years ago

Does the backward rotating starter work south of the equator?

• rcbe
    9 years ago

only if yer a rollergirl...

• wheely_boy
    9 years ago

Glad to see someone woke you up.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Whilst on the subject of tractors, I had one of those tractors that had the sliding vee-shaped separator thatsslid up and down on a shaft, with fore and aft belts, which, as the engine speeded up, that vee thing would slide up, or down to make it go faster, or slower. Does anybody know what that type of drive is called? Any way, after spending countless hours trying to get it to work right, I drove it outside, and drove it around the yard. Seemed to work ok, But---suddenly, that durned tractor caught fire and burnt itself up!
    Did I get my feelings hurt? Nope, I let it burn! Never did find out what caused the fire, and since it belonged to me, next day it got a ride to the scrap yard, minus a few removable parts! ce la vie!

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have 2 garages stuffed full of lawn tractors, etc., just waiting for warmer weather. I'm living alone now, since my dear wife died several years ago. She always griped about the noise coming from the garage under the house. Wish she hadn't smoked cigs all her life! I never smoked, so my lungs are ok. Drink a beer occasionally. Seems to help.
    This sitting around while old man winter does his thing is mind boggling. I'd like to get to work, but can't feature working out in the snow! Course, I don't have to mow!

• tomplum
    9 years ago

Glad you're getting along well enough. It has to be tough to lose a mate, but now is a new chapter for you. It sounds that the drive you were wondering about is a variable speed drive CVT ish.

• romore_gw
    9 years ago

I haven't been around for a while, decided to take a sabbatical from all the squabbling. Rusty, glad to see you are up to your usual form. It sounds like you had an MTD product with their vari-speed, it works well for a few years then starts chewing belts when things start to wear. You did the right thing. LOL

• javert
    9 years ago

Ah, Rusty ... as long as you're around, I'm not the oldest geezer on here!

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yas, I am 90 YOA, still driving, eating well, living alone since Ruth died. Chasing girls now, but they are tough to catch, trying to run on my wooden leg! A beer a day keeps the Dr. away! Still fixing mowers, altho its way too cold at this time!

No, it was a very old neglected C-man lawn tractor. The owner knew more about booze than lawn tractors! RJ

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

WOW!! This new outfit sure messed up this site!! The old one worked well, but, these young whipper-snappers always have to try their way--which usually turns out bad enough to make us long-time writers just say:"Sayonara"!

• snuffyinatl
    9 years ago

Yeah, I'm ready for spring, too, Rusty!

• wheelhorse_of_course
    9 years ago

Rusty, you ARE rich! In humor, knowledge, and of course lawn equipment. Happy 90th. My Dad turned 90 last June, but sadly, he's not doing nearly as well as you!

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, Wheel Horse! Every Saturday, i get to hold hands with my sweetie, the rest of the time, i work on whatever the cat drags in!Sold some parts,gave some stuff away, tried to get my lady's son to like me! Fat chance! So, we sneak around some. Never thought i'd be doing that but it keeps my mind in good order. Just ordered a new monitor for this box. Today, i hear the mowers running, so i'd better check on my grass height. "Bout a month ago, i was pushing a tractor, and slipped off it and rolled down the hill. Was sore for a while, but Dr. gave me some pills and its back to work with it. Feels good, now! RJ.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My lady friends son is mad at me, because i call his mother my "Girl-friend!" Says she is a Lady, not a gurl! Geez-its hard to know what to call folks. I'm older than most everybody else! He's a big tough looking guy, so i'm laying low for a while! Got several lawn tractors to get ready for winter, so its back to the garage on Monday, and allow him to cool off!

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area