Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marshall9988

wheel horse gt2500 problem

Marshall9988
11 years ago

I was just out plowing snow, heard a popping sound and tractor stalled out and will not start. Turns over well and plenty of spark and fuel. Tried spraying starting fluid and not so much as a cough from the engine. Any ideas what to check next? I have had this tractor for years and it always runs like a champ. Thanks

Comments (5)

• tomplum
    11 years ago

Compression?

• Marshall9988
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very little compression. Also seem to be getting oil blowing out of the carburetor when cranking and one of the head bolts has something bubbling out around it. Blown head gasket?

• tomplum
    11 years ago

One would assume that this an old L head engine from the vintage here- unless the engine had been changed. Engine #s would help. How is the oil level? Does the oil smell gassy? If it is an OHV, a blown head gasket can pressurize the sump and create that oil presents in the back of the carb. If it is a flat head/ L head-my guess is that you have a loose valve seat at this point. You could have a loose seat or other valve issue if an OHV as well.

• Marshall9988
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The model # is b-252417 and the type is #0245-01. Oil level is still good. Will check for odor.

• tomplum
    11 years ago

I'd say may as well pull the head and have a look.

Sponsored