Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawn tractor over heating

Posted by jkl101 none (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 1:56

I have a 16 hp Briggs twin on a craftsman and when I start it up,it starts runns and smokes then over heats and dies I looked in the cylinder and there was oil in it I was thinking it was the gasket but not sure should look at the rings and hone it or just get a gasket

Please help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawn tractor over heating

Which "16 hp Briggs twin" out of the possible dozens of models?
OHV, opposed??????
IF OHV, I'd GUESS head gasket for a start.
Post the Model & Type#'s or the Sears 917.xxxxxx number of the tractor so we can identify WHICH engine.

o

It's not an ohv but the model number is 917 255880

o

How about going directly to the engine and getting the Model # and Type # of the ENGINE and posting them.
The 917.255880 number you posted shows zero results when fed to several websites where manuals may typically be found. And that usually means the number given is not correct in some way.

o

My apologizes it's actually 917.255850 I I will also tell you it's a hydrostatic auotomatic as well

o

That appears to be a YT16-
Engine is likely a Briggs 402707-0157-01

Is it a vertical shaft?

Have you smelled the crankcase for the presence of oil?
IF the carb is leaking through, gasoline ends up in the sump, diluting the oil to point it easily gets past the piston rings.
My other "guess" is a bad crankcase breather.

o

I have not smelled the crank case but I cleaned the carb and I'm going to change the oil to sea if that helps I'll cheak th breather as well thanks

o

Yes it is vertical by the way

o

I also neglected tosay that there is a hoe that leads from the carb to the engine and there is bits of oil in it every time it runs for while I didn't think that might be a problem but it may be

o

There is a hose that leads from the carb to the breather that seems to have oil in it as well does that have any impact?

o

First thing I'd check is the air vents on the engine. I had mice built a nest on mine around the air/cooling vents which caused to it overheat and possibly blowing a head gasket that I had to replace.

o

You had best remove the tin cover that surrounds the cylinder-s, and clean out the mouse nests and poo that is obviously in there! That in itself will cause over-heating, and eventual big engine troubles.
Yes, you will get oil in that short hose, as it is the crank-case breather hose, to the Carb.
As another person said---smell the dip-stick tube, or if none, remove the oil fill plug, and smell the engine oil! If it smells like gasoline, then you have gas in the oil, which will destroy the engine in a short time. Change the oil!
Mice and other rodents dearly love the cover-s over and around the cylinders, and make their winter nests inside those parts. When you put the machine away for winter storage, lay some clothes dryer sheets arround the engine-s, and those critters will stay away! Works for me! Rusty Jones

o

Thanks Rusty. That had happened to me last year but didn't notice it until 1 of the piston rods broke and it was making an odd sounds. I cleaned it all out after replacing the rod and did the proper adjustments. It worked fine the rest of the year. I'll be checking this time in the spring for any nests.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here