Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
morella_gw

B&S engine carb connector

Morella
12 years ago

I had to start a new message because the board won't let me edit or post another followup, but this is more info on my last question. As it turns out, the grey and black wires go to what looks like a solenoid in the bottom of the carburetor. Does this turn off the fuel, or might it be an electric choke? I hate to disassemble anything to find out.

Comments (7)

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    12 years ago

Fuel Cut off. If it ain't getting power or is defective, no gas. There are some posts around on removing or reworking the plunger so you won't have the "anti diesel" and safety feature anymore.

You don't say what this is on, but the only electric chokes I've seen are on outboards, but could be wrong.

Good luck,

Ev

• mownie
    12 years ago

If you get a "message rejected".........simply go to the line labeled "Subject of Posting" and make some small change in that line..........it does not need to be anything more than just adding a period or deleting a space. Anything that changes the name will work.
    Usually after a short time you can post a follow up without doing anything.

As to your project:
    I read your other thread and would like to know if the small crane you refer to is mounted on a truck bed or is it a "stand alone" piece of equipment?
    If it is to be part of a truck, then your engine will not need its own battery the starter...........and the electrical circuits you need to know about will be different than for a stand alone outfit.

The device you refer to on the bottom of the carb is the "anti-afterfire" solenoid valve. Its sole purpose is to minimize the annoying backfire bang out the exhaust upon engine shut down.
    This feature is not required for engine operation and could be disabled if you are not concerned with a loud pop when shutting down the engine while it is still "hot".
    If the device is disabled you can still keep the afterfire pop to a minimum by idling the engine for a couple minutes before shutting it down.
    Another way is to install an inline fuel shutoff valve and just turn off the fuel and let the engine run the carb dry.
    I highly recommend doing the inline valve anyhow because these engines/carbs are somewhat notorious for allowing fuel to leak into the crankcase.
    If this is to be a truck crane you have the added motion of traveling that makes an inline fuel valve even more important to have in place.
    Anyhow, if you are putting this on a truck.......post back with that and we will proceed from there.

• Morella
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info, from everyone. It looks like I just need to put power to that solenoid to make the engine run.

The crane is standalone. I'm going to use a Spicer transaxle from a Husqvarna riding mower along with the Briggs engine, and probably a spring-loaded belt tensioner for a clutch. It was powered by two winch motors, but they finally shelled out, pole shoes broken into pieces, so I decided to give it more power and reliability, and make it more fun to ride around in.

• juggie396
    12 years ago

I have a problem with gas flooding in the carburetor I replace the needle valve clean the carburetor fuel cutoff silenoid was bad replace it with a new on,put it back to gather and it still floods could yo please help I notice when i flip the carburetor over and blow in it it still have very little air flow is that normal if not what can i do to fix it also the gas tank has pressure on it when I remove the cap is that normal. thanks in advance model # 317070132B1

• jim109
    12 years ago

did you change the seat with the needle?

• bill_kapaun
    12 years ago

You are missing a digit in the Model#.
    Probably the 31?707.

IF you start each sentence with a capital letter, it makes it much easier to read!

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Not normal to have "pressure" in the tank tank or cap should be vented or flows back through a carbon canister maybe a new carb or new equpiment

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure