Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LT160/fuel filter

Posted by buddy50 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 29, 12 at 10:59

I had my LT160 serviced. They put in a ROT7998 fuel filter and not the one John deer uses. Does it make a difference?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LT160/fuel filter

I'd want the one Kohler uses since they made the engine.

IF you Google the filter they used, you can see it's a "generic" replacement.

o

I wouldn't worry about it myself. Rotory filters are like using a Fram to a AC or Motorcraft filter. Who makes the JD filters? My guess is that they don't come out of a big green building....I do use the Kohlers on my customer's units. They did change filter quality a couple of years back, plus I think people feel better if they have a Briggs on a Briggs etc. Which brings us back to JD filters.

o

I have a JD LT 160 with a Kohler engine. After a standard replacement of oil, fuel filter and air filters last year it began quitting after applying the blades. As it was the end of the season, and being a procrastinator, I let it lie until this spring. Same power loss after applying the blades. Did the standard fuel change, fuel cap check, carb cleaning with no change. After reading this blog I found that the fuel filter was the type described in above messages that was made in Isreal. This fuel filter is from the John Deere kit purchased at a JD dealer. So I ordered the Kohler recommended part, made in India, and replaced the Israeli filter. Lo and behold, the tractor works as advertised. I will update to see if it lasts the summer.

o

Kohlers are particularly sensitive to fuel filters. Not who or where they are made but RATHER the micron spec.

ALWAYS use the correct Kohler filter for the engine and installation you have.

Here is a concise list of current Kohler OEM fuel filters with specs, notes on correct applications, and revision numbers... the real filters aren't expensive.

http://www.kohler-engine-parts.opeengines.com/kohler-engines-parts/fuel-system/fuel-filters

o

I have found that when I compare the price of the part needed to sevice my JD LT155, that I can not beat the price of the JD sevice kit from a large JD dealer.

Consequently I use what comes in the kit and have never had a problem.

o

nevermind...

This post was edited by justalurker on Fri, May 3, 13 at 22:20

o

"Kohlers are particularly sensitive to fuel filters. Not who or where they are made but RATHER the micron spec.

ALWAYS use the correct Kohler filter for the engine and installation you have.

Here is a concise list of current Kohler OEM fuel filters with specs, notes on correct applications, and revision numbers... the real filters aren't expensive. "

JAL is spot-on on this one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here