Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19750828

LT160/fuel filter

User
12 years ago

I had my LT160 serviced. They put in a ROT7998 fuel filter and not the one John deer uses. Does it make a difference?

Comments (7)

• bill_kapaun
    12 years ago

I'd want the one Kohler uses since they made the engine.

IF you Google the filter they used, you can see it's a "generic" replacement.

• tomplum
    12 years ago

I wouldn't worry about it myself. Rotory filters are like using a Fram to a AC or Motorcraft filter. Who makes the JD filters? My guess is that they don't come out of a big green building....I do use the Kohlers on my customer's units. They did change filter quality a couple of years back, plus I think people feel better if they have a Briggs on a Briggs etc. Which brings us back to JD filters.

• Fedboy
    10 years ago

I have a JD LT 160 with a Kohler engine. After a standard replacement of oil, fuel filter and air filters last year it began quitting after applying the blades. As it was the end of the season, and being a procrastinator, I let it lie until this spring. Same power loss after applying the blades. Did the standard fuel change, fuel cap check, carb cleaning with no change. After reading this blog I found that the fuel filter was the type described in above messages that was made in Isreal. This fuel filter is from the John Deere kit purchased at a JD dealer. So I ordered the Kohler recommended part, made in India, and replaced the Israeli filter. Lo and behold, the tractor works as advertised. I will update to see if it lasts the summer.

• User
    10 years ago

Kohlers are particularly sensitive to fuel filters. Not who or where they are made but RATHER the micron spec.

ALWAYS use the correct Kohler filter for the engine and installation you have.

Here is a concise list of current Kohler OEM fuel filters with specs, notes on correct applications, and revision numbers... the real filters aren't expensive.

http://www.kohler-engine-parts.opeengines.com/kohler-engines-parts/fuel-system/fuel-filters

• krnuttle
    10 years ago

I have found that when I compare the price of the part needed to sevice my JD LT155, that I can not beat the price of the JD sevice kit from a large JD dealer.

Consequently I use what comes in the kit and have never had a problem.

• User
    10 years ago

nevermind...

This post was edited by justalurker on Fri, May 3, 13 at 22:20

• rcbe
    10 years ago

"Kohlers are particularly sensitive to fuel filters. Not who or where they are made but RATHER the micron spec.

ALWAYS use the correct Kohler filter for the engine and installation you have.

Here is a concise list of current Kohler OEM fuel filters with specs, notes on correct applications, and revision numbers... the real filters aren't expensive. "

JAL is spot-on on this one.

Sponsored