Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larso1

nos jd lx277: worth?

larso1
15 years ago

I'd like to get your educated opinions on what a New Old Stock 2002 JD LX277 is worth. My local JD dealer has one on the showroom floor he's never been able to sell. It's never been set outside so looks new too. He says everyone wants the new models and don't give this one a second look. It's got the 17-hp air-cooled Kawasaki, 48C deck, non-power steering, no diff. lock and no AWS. It will have a new battery when someone buys it. Without looking into it the dealer thought is was originally around $4k. What should I offer? Thanks,

Bill

Comments (13)

• sergeant
    15 years ago

I would offer him somewhere in the $3,000 range maybe less because he can't sell it. Right now he actally ownes the machine because if a machine is not sold in one year the dealer has to buy them from Deere. New it cost $4,299 By 2005 in excellent condition it was only worth $3,000

• johndeere
    15 years ago

I have the same machine bought new in 2003 and I gave around $3900.00 Todays closest match is a X320 and the 48c deck on the LX277 in my opinion is a better deck then what they have today.Because of easier to adjust gauge wheels and slightly heavier build.

I would offer him $2500.00 low ball and be willing to go as high as $2800.00 depending on if he offered a warranty.

• larso1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yah, I was thinking a little under $3K would be a good number since he was floating a $3K figure for my consideration. It's a nice looking, well built unit without all the bells and whistles. I need another mower like a "hole-in-the-head" tho! I assume the hydro is one of the larger models compared to an x300-series?

Bill

• johndeere
    15 years ago

It has the K-57 like is found in the X320 the X300 has a lighter duty hydro K-48 I think?

• larso1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, thanks for the info Johndeere.

• sergeant
    15 years ago

JohnDeere the X300 and X304 have the K46 transmission. Johndeere Always nice to see you around here still.

• gabdow
    15 years ago

I bought that machine in 2000 for $3695 and sold it five years later for $2000. It was in great shape. It's still a 7 year old tractor without a market. I'd offer $1500 and that's probably still too high. $3000, $2800 --- you must be kidding. In spite of the hype, John Deere's don't hold that much value. Remember it's a lawn tractor with a K66 transmission not a garden tractor.

• johndeere
    15 years ago

If you find a LX277 for $1500.00 around here it is beat to death.Thats what a nice LX178 brings.

• larso1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I would think that a $2800 NOS LX277 would compare well to an upper end JD LA-series model, and I think they run almost that much. And if you own it till the wheels fall off I think it would be a good buy. If you're thinking about selling in just a few years and resale is important, then maybe not so much. Personally, I use 'em until they aren't worth fixing anymore. I mean, why not, unless you move to a bigger place or the latest and greatest model is important to you.

• johndeere
    15 years ago

Nice to see you around here also Seargent.

• marineguy
    15 years ago

If it's truly unused, it's easily worth $3,000. It's a much better machine than the $3k X300 and the comparison to an upper-end LA series is unfounded. The LX series is two classes ahead of the box-store LA series, one step up from the entry-level professional LT series.
    The LX series are not quite garden tractors, but have a lot in common with the GT series. They're fully capable of difficult tasks such as snow removal, dragging a plug aerator, or pulling a cart around. You won't be tilling or plowing your garden, but you probably weren't planning on doing that anyway.
    I'd offer $2000, just because it's been sitting around the showroom so long. But anything less than $2,500 would be a sweet deal.

• bhshaman
    14 years ago

Bought a used lx277 2 years ago for $1800.
    Best money spent. People get all hyped up on HP, but it is the transmission that sets lawn tractors apart. The LX277 has a great transmission, buy it.

See link for a video of mine pulling my huge butt, my daughter, and a full load of dirt up hill.

Here is a link that might be useful: LX277 Pulling Dirt Up Hill.

• wrager
    14 years ago

Just as a point of comparison, I recently bought an '08 X300 with 40 hrs. for $2300.

Sponsored