Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cgalny

Dixon 4423 ZTR

cgalny
16 years ago

I couldn't find anything on the Dixon 4423 ZTR here, but am hoping someone can advise me.

Though I don't really need a ZTR, I've always wanted one. Someone local is selling a 2003 model with approximately 80 hours. He's the original owner and claims it's in tip-top condition and has been in storage for much of its life.

Although the owner claims he's never had a problem with the cones, I'm aware that the cone design is atypical and difficult to maintain and repair. The owner wants $1450, which seems a bit on the high side.

Setting aside the issue of whether or not it meets my needs, is a Dixon 4423 worth $1450?

Comments (14)

• macguy
    16 years ago

My father has a 4421 that needs another transaxle (complete). Got one or know where we can get one other than the local dealer?

• cgalny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, walt2002, for your reply. I've never even seen a Dixon ZTR, and all I know about them is what others have written here and at one or two other Internet sites. Most of the opinions seem to be more or less "look elsewhere." I very much doubt the present owner of the one I'm considering would know enough to tell me if it's a Z drive. Maybe I'll call him and ask. Thanks again.

• walt2002
    16 years ago

"My father has a 4421 that needs another transaxle (complete). Got one or know where we can get one other than the local dealer?"

Why in the world would he need another complete transaxle? That is an excellent transaxle, I'd love to rebuild it unless it has met with some traumatic episode, run over by a tractor or something that way. A used one would be extremely hard to find, a new assembly I'd guess between $6 - $700 I don't have access to a current price list.

"I very much doubt the present owner of the one I'm considering would know enough to tell me if it's a Z drive."

I told you how to tell if it is a "Z" drive.

Walt Conner

• macguy
    16 years ago

That's what he told me. His biggest complaint is that it's starting to make a "screeching" (his word) sound. I've told him to try replacing the cones first to see if that helps. I'm a Deere man and no zero about this ZTR.

• walt2002
    16 years ago

"His biggest complaint is that it's starting to make a "screeching" (his word) "

With no more info than that, I would suspect the Cone Shaft Bearings. These take the greatest stress and should be replaced whenever new cones are installed. New Cones cost me about $70 per set last ones I got, listed around $80, bearings $7.50 ea.

First thing I would check though is the idler pulley on the transaxle drive belt.

Walt Conner

• macguy
    16 years ago

Will do. Thank you for that info and suggestions.

• caddyguydavis_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Need to replace and tighten adjustment on PTO drive belt; and how to adjust sepintine belt on top of deck. Many thanks for any help. DON

• brian_busenburg_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

walt,
    Im a heavy equipment mechanic for cat. would i have the tools to do a set of cones on my 4423? this mower cuts better than anything Ive ever owned. i took it over after my mother used it from time it was new till 2008. do you sell the drive cones and anything else i would need to do this job?

• Dana Potter
    7 years ago

I am looking for a part number or whole transaxle for a Dixon 4423 part number I needed 53225 anybody out there can help me please let me know thank you

• richieddow
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Does anyone have any steering cones for sale for the Dixon 4423 year model being ZRT 2003 ? Or is that something that I probably should purchase brand-new I'm not even for sure if that's the problem ?

• tinkerer200
    6 years ago

Don't know what problem you are trying to resolve but generally these cones do not quit working until they disintegrate. As far as I know, I am the only one on the forum offering advice on cone drive Dixons. If you email me at address below, put in proper format, remind me model number and tell me what you want, I will send you some adjustment instructions which may help you. Sorry, that model is a pain in the butt.

Drive Cones are something you want to buy new - about $100 and ALWAYS put in new cone shaft bearings at the same time.

Walt Conner

wconner5 at frontier dot com

• richieddow
    6 years ago

Ty so much I'll be looking a lot deeper into It and I'll get back with u on it ty very much

• HU-162388245
    3 years ago

so how do i know if the cone need replaced ? it make a lot of grinding noise is this normal ? what are the cones made of looks like just metal to metal ?

Sponsored
Cellko Construction Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Licensed General Contractor Serving Loudoun County