Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old Snapper Transaxle

Posted by stillcrazy nc (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 08 at 13:51

I am new to this forum. I am a retired Auto Tech (Tate's Auto Service) and I have an old Snapper riding, rear engine, 8 hp. (fuel tank on bracket on left side) and I need to know how to check the grease in the trans axle. 90 weight? Any "links" to information on this old mower? Thanks Bill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old Snapper Transaxle

Stand the machine up on its rear bumper so the front axle is straight up. Remove (carefully pry out) the lower plastic plug in the chain compartment case. Fill the cavity with not more than 2 ounces of "NLGI 0" or "NLGI 00" grease. This is not gear oil, it is a thin "chassis and gear LUBE". You can find it at Snapper dealers or general lawn mower repair shops that repair Snapper. Level with the edge of the fill/check hole is correct. You should go to the Snapper website and download the free parts manual and the free service manual.

o

Thanks so much Mownie! I'll do that!

o

You should also add 2 oz. of this lube to the center chain case once a year. Same kind of plug in it. It is much easier to add the lube to side gear case by removing the upper plug (when mower is standing on rear standards) as the lower plug has a gear immediately behind it which restricts access. I fill in the top one until it is ready to come out the bottom one. This takes time for lube to run down, turn wheel/gear periodically, putting the lube bottle in hot water for a few minutes will help it flow reducing time.

Don't forget to check for grease zerk on axle bushing on side opposite gear box.

Walt Conner

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here