Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjsm5nys

Life Expectancy for the Kawaski air and liquid cooled engines?

cjsm5nys
15 years ago

Here is my question.....

With proper maintenance and no abuse, how many hours can one expect to put on a mower with either one these two engines?

First engine = Kawaski 18 hp air cooled

Second engine = Kawaski 17 hp liquid coooled

The engines are from John Deere's LX280 and LX289 models with the K61 transaxle. I may purchase one of these models. I have my eye on two '05 models with 49 and 100 hours respectively and will use primarily for mowing 1.1 acre, pulling a tiller for a small garden(not attachment) and minimal use of a blade.

Thanks

Comments (12)

• bushleague
    15 years ago

I have serviced commercial mowers with these engines exceeding 2000 hours, and these are abused. You cannot find a finer engine in a Deere, unless someone repowered it with a Honda.

• cjsm5nys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bushleague,

I understand the differences between the LC engine and the air cooled. With your experience servicing these two engines are the costs of maintenance and repair of the LC engine not worth the ownership? One should expect a longer life out of the LC engine but I question the extra costs of maintaining and any repairs of the LC over the life of the engine may not be worth it? What are your thoughts? Thanks again

• engine_tech
    15 years ago

In commerical applications, I think the L/C *could* last longer. But like the above poster, the costs associated with an L/C engine may not balance that out. I personally go A/C due to the low maintenance and lower cost. Run a synthetic oil, change it often, and you'll be fine. If you get a killer deal on the L/C, then go for that. It's basically a wash.

Neither engine is rated to last longer than the other. I think they both are 1,500 hour engines, but I've seen them last much longer (and shorter). It depends on the care they receive.

One nice advantage of the L/C is totally subjective...they just sound nice and are quieter.

• equinox_grow
    15 years ago

I have an air cooled 12.5 horse Kawasaki in my 1986 John Deere 165 that runs like brand new. It doesnt have a real lot of hours on it since it was not used but maybe 5 years of the 23 that this tractor has existed. I am told Kawasaki is one of the best that there is.

• johnml
    15 years ago

I bought a LC Kawasacki (GX345).

My key consideration was this. I once was a bit knowledgeable about industrial engine design and maintenance (stationary generators). To improve longevity, much effort went into keeping the engine operation at a very stable temperature.

I think that little engine on a tractor goes through a lot of heat cycles. We can afford the weight. Let liquid cooling maintain a more uniform temperature.

I don't know whether reality will agree with me, but hey, it is a theory.

• marineguy
    15 years ago

I have a JD GT262 which was used commercially by a real estate management corporation for 15 years or so. Hours unknown but you can bet it's over 2k. It's a little banged up but the air-cooled Kawi still runs great. I also have an old JD 165 with a dead transmission, original deck rusted through (replacement trans and deck are sitting next to it, waiting for a rainy day), but the 460cc one-lung Kawi still runs like a Swiss watch. I think air-cooled Kawasaki is the way to go. A radiator in a lawn mower just seems like a ridiculously complicated situation to me.

• metal
    15 years ago

I agree with Johnml, but I think either choice will long outlive anything it is attached to. My LC Kaw. was born in '94 and the only thing that has needed replacing was the fuel pump last year (it still worked, but the seals were leaking after sitting all Winter). They are awesome engines and purr like kittens.

• lt150
    15 years ago

I have a JD 265 with a 17hp Kaw. that is air cooled and has about 1000 hrs on it. It runs great now but the guy I bought it from replaced the rings before he sold it. I have no idea how well it was taken care of because the guy I bought it from repaired and resold them. I started it up every couple weeks during the winter and it always started good except once when it got to about -5 degrees. It has a real powerful sound. Hoping to get a johnny bucket to test the package.

• Orville White
    7 years ago

I have owned 5 air cooled riding mowers from 12 Hp up to 22 Hp in different brands of mowers. I have always been a stickler for strict maintenance intervals. If the manual says change oil at 50 hours, I do it before 40 hours. Simply to stay ahead of moisture and carbon build up.

In 2001 I purchased a 3208 Cub Cadet with an 18hp Liquid Cooled Kawasaki engine. I currently have 2,781 hours on it and have not touched any internal components and only recently installed a new fuel pum which is the same on air cooled engines. It is a remote mount.

I change the oil and filter between 40-50 hours and use 10w30 Pennzoil year around. 100 - 105 in the summer and as low as -15 in the winter. I mow 2.5 acres and run a lawn sweeper as much as twice a week since I also water the entire two acres. Mowing in northern Delaware is typically from mid March through the end of November. I also have a 48" snow blower and clean my driveway and seven neighbors drive ways - just because they are my neighbors. I also clear curb to curb our street and culdasac - about four city blocks. I also have a cab, weights and chains to assist in traction.

i say all of this because the LC Kawasaki at 18 hp is a direct shaft drive to the transaxle and you simply can not kill the engine by overloading. 6-8" of grass is not a problem. Nor is 30" of snow. It just goes and goes. The engine has yet to use ANY oil between changes. Unbelievable. The ONLY added maintenance that takes about 30 seconds after each mower is to remove the radiator screen and shake the accumulated grass off of it and slip it back into place. After, 16 years of great reliability, I will never buy an air cooled engine in a larger mower. The 3208 has a 54" mower deck. Two acres takes about 1.5 - 2 hours. I hope the long dissertation takes away any worry about owning the LC Kawasaki. It is worth the little extra and it will outlast anything air cooled 3-4 to 1 based on my experience. Orville White

Middletown Delaware

• gene chapman
    7 years ago

I have a 6210 woods mower with Kawasaki liquid cooled engine 1977 built. if anyone knows where I can find a high idle jet I would love them. glc71gc@gmail.com Greenville,Iowa 712 363 5862

• HU-49269220
    2 years ago

Well I have a 2007 777 z track mower bought it used 8yrs. Ago it have turn back to 0 hours after 3,000 hours and now have 1,500 hrs. On it now equal 4,500 hrs and still going strong but recently my left side hydraulic transmission just went out in process of buy a new transmission ohh Wee it's going to cost 1,000 to replace it so was wondering if how many more hrs. On before replacing it thanks

• HU-344146958
    last year

Mow 1/2 acre property with 185 John Deere Hydro that I bought new in 1985, this tractor has a 17 HP Kawasaki engine. Machine is very well maintained and kept clean. After 37 seasons of mowing, have yet to add a drop of motor oil to the tractor. Also, each winter, remove the mower deck and install a snow blade, tire chains, and weights. Blade my driveway and several neighbors following snowfalls. Totally sold on Kawasaki, would be difficult to buy anything else.

Sponsored
District Floor Depot
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Quality Hardwood Flooring Retailer in the Greater DC Area