Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bckskin2

Gas Can?

bckskin2
10 years ago

I need a new gas can, my 5 gal can leaks when I fill my tractor. Gas is expensive and dangerous. Is there a better type can?
Thanks,
Jerry

Comments (13)

• gdj204
    10 years ago

If your can is ok and just the spout is bad, you can get a replacement spout from TSC - great for retrofitting older jugs. These are the old-type spouts, not the new ones that spill gas all over the place. They have a spout package that fits several different types of jugs/cans.

• gdj204
    10 years ago

As an alternative, you can get one of the metal Eagle gas cans. They work reasonably well and are better, although heavier, than plastic cans. Lowes has them for around $42 or Woot occasionally has them for around $30 if you don't mind waiting.

Also, some folks use the Super Syphon and do away with the spout altogether. It runs about $10. A little slower, but easier than pouring a jug.

• bckskin2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had thought of the syphon. I will check at TSC when I am there.
    Thanks

• gdj204
    10 years ago

Found a link

Here is a link that might be useful: TSC spout kit

• lkbum_gw
    10 years ago

You can actually still get "real" gas cans with vents if you get one designated for racing gas. they have some really nice ones with valves. They aren't as cheap as the ventless crap out there, but they work like the old ones. A link to one at Amazon is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to racing gas can

• User
    10 years ago

Jerry cans have been a favorite since WWII and now Jerry don't like his gas can? (couldn't resist ;-)

• User
    10 years ago

And there's the marriage of the old and the new...

• bckskin2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My only problem with the steel can is weight. I can barely lift a 5 gal plastic. For my big tractor I never get a full 5 gal or I would never get it over the laded. Sportsman's Guide has the steel surplus can and Farm and fleet has the new steel ones.

• User
    10 years ago

My favorite gas cans are the old Rubbermaid plastic ones. The best was the 6 gallon. Easy to swing around cause it had two handles and was made out of real thick plastic. They came in different colors for gas, diesel, and water.They show up at thrift stores once in a while and I jump on them. Replacement spouts, seals, and vent caps are easy to find.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    10 years ago

Lurker shares my taste in gas cans. Difficult to find, though I have seen the blue ones, labeled kerosene. I have one of those that I've used for gas for years. Don't know about the chemical properties, but doesn't seem to make any difference.

I did once have a problem with the blue one. I stopped at a place that had an attendant in a booth in the middle of the gas lanes and couldn't get the pump to start? Walked over to see what was going on and the attendant who looked like she was 12 but had to be 18 to work there said it wasn't an approved gas can. Went someplace else and filled it, haven't been back there since. :-)

Ev

• bckskin2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have an old blue one not sure of the brand. I have not had the kerosene heater for over 10 years. I may clean it up and paint it red. I also bought a siphon pump.

• john1935
    10 years ago

Will get some red paint for my old blue .....good idea!

• john9001
    10 years ago

there is a reason for the can color, if you put the wrong stuff in a machine it will either not work or damage something expensive.

red=gas
    yellow=diesel
    blue=kerosene

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio