Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tombob_gw

Sabre won't move

tombob
11 years ago

I just sold my 14.5 HP John Deere Sabre with hydrostatic drive. It has the lever for the tranny on the right fender.It worked perfectly, and the buyer drove it about my yard and pronounced it a good deal. Everyone was happy. Until today.

I got a call from him and he told me the mower "wouldn't go forward or backward." I went through all the procedures with him: making sure the brake was off and the lock was off, the blades were disengaged etc. I asked him if the transmission release (that knob on the back of the tractor that disengages the tranny so you can push it when it is off) was pushed all the way in. I had shown him how he could pull the knob out and push the mower if needed. He claims he had done all that but it still would not move. I told him to try pulling out the tranny release knob and rocking the mower back and forth�"with the engine off, then pushing it back in, starting it, and seeing if that would work.

I am buffaloed. He is 50 miles away, so it is no small drive to go over and check it out. I offered him his money back, but he told me he would fool around with it some more and let me know one way or another. It has been several hours and I haven't heard from him.

He had told me that he had never owned a riding mower before, and knew nothing about working on mowers.

I am convinced he doesn't have something set right, but I cannot think what it would be.

Any thoughts on what to tell him?

Comments (5)