Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deere L130 Tractor

Posted by Dave1937 TN (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 2, 12 at 16:48

I have a John Deere L130 tractor that has about 320 hrs. I have replaced all the mower deck bearings including idlers but still have more bearing noise than I feel is normal. I now have started the tractor without the deck attached and I get the noise when I engage the electric clutch. I would like to remove the clutch but do not have a good way to hold the engine shaft from turning. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deere L130 Tractor

You could be right on suspecting the clutch itself. These have a habit of seizing, twisting the locator bracket and winding up the electrical harness from the seat switch up! To aid in your diagnostic, the main bearings are "rolling" when the pto is not engaged. Once the pto is engaged, the pulley runs pretty much w/ the inner clutch.
To remove the clutch, it is easiest to use an impact wrench. Or plan b- many times the heavy "washer" is a double D rather than round so you can grab it w/ a pair of channel locks whilst you turn the socket. While the deck is off, unload the traction belt and roll the idler pulleys. They're likely due as well.

o

tomplum, Thanks for the follow-up. I do have plans to change out the traction belt pulleys. Its interesting that the tractor is quiet when the PTO is disengaged (bearing loaded) but noisy when engaged (bearing unloaded). I would think the opposite. I ran the engine with the traction belt loose and PTO engaged , I still had the noise. I do have an air impact tool and will try that. I assume its a standard right hand thread. Last thing I want is to break off the bolt.
Dave

o

I have the clutch out. Upper bearing toward engine is rough and noisy when turned by hand. I guess I will be looking for new clutch. I don't think it can be rebuilt.

o

You may be surprised check to see if you can get the part here. If available work with your local JD dealer. (The farm machinery one not the big box.

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here