Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jng3

Who makes Deere's saws?

jng3
16 years ago

Looking to buy a chainsaw. I know many will say Stihl. I strongly dislike Stihl. We use them where I work and we have had problems with Stihl products. Not a bash but they just don't work out for us. So after comparing specs for Husky, Poulan Pro, McCullough, Craftsman (Husky Outdoors manufactured product) and Deere, I've found that Deere has the features I'm looking for and seems to be built well. Just curious as to who builds them for Deere.

Comments (13)

• rcmoser
    16 years ago

Have you looked a Echo?

• sergeant
    16 years ago

The Deere chainsaws are made by a company in Italy In the past echo made there string timmers and chainsaws

• duke88
    16 years ago

I've read thar Redmax makes one of the best chainsaws. I have a Redmax leaf blower and I'm very happy with it.

• jng3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Never heard of Redmax but will look them up. I have no idea as to where I'd even buy an Echo product in my locale. But I will do some research into that.

• marineguy
    16 years ago

I don't know squat about John Deere Chainsaws, but I definitely have to give a plug for Husqy. I have a Husqvarna 455 Rancher, 55cc / 20" bar. I love it. I use it hard, not only for felling trees, but also for ripping them into 4x8 beams and 8x8 posts with my hud-son boardmaster milling attachment. That's about as demanding as it gets, continuous wide open throttle for up to 10 minutes as I tear through oak, pine, and even cherry on occasion. Things I like include the anti-vibration suspension, compression relief for easy starts, and a large, comfortable handle.
    I had it narrowed down the 455 or a similar Stihl, then I came across four 455s chained to a cart at Lowe's, reconditioned for $275 (but so lightly used the bar was barely scratched), and that sealed the deal.

• rcmoser
    16 years ago

I too like Husqvarna. I have a bottom crawler 345 when compared to your 455 and for my odd jobs it's more than enough saw for me. That was a great price for that saw.

• dfpmonroe
    16 years ago

What's the problems that you are having with the Stihl products? We all would like to know, I am sure. Just know that most of the loggers in this area use Stihl chain saws over Husqvarna, "both are available here locally from dealers", with the Husky coming in a distance second.

• steve2ski
    16 years ago

I own a Poulan Pro 260 saw - very easy to start - runs well - there are more rugged I suppose but I only use mine occasionally. I have owned about it 5 or 6 yrs.
    I am on the 3rd chain, the saw itself has out lasted my former one, a McCullough, I can't remenber the Mod of that saw. It had a 16" bar the Poulan has a 18" bar.
    FWIW, My SIL has a Husqvarna 455 Rancher 20" bar, my Poulan 260 will not begin to keep up, on greater than 10" diameter stuff.

• yellowfever
    16 years ago

jng3 wrote: "So after comparing specs for Husky, Poulan Pro, McCullough, Craftsman (Husky Outdoors manufactured product) and Deere"

The only saw listed in your statement that is comparable to a stihl saw would be the husqvarna. You canÂt even put the others you mention in the same sentence. I would love to know what the problems as operators are???? As previously mentioned most professionals who use a saw use a Husqvara, Stihl or Jonsered. CanÂt say I ever saw a tree linesman using a craftsman or poulan?

Your operators having problems with stihl are not even in the minority, folks with that opinion of stihl most would say non-exist.

• deeredoctor
    16 years ago

The JD saws are ok. I currently don't have a full time logger using them now. Several use our pole saws to clean up loads. Most have large delimber equipment now days.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oleo-Mac

• jng3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Let me rephrase that, we have had problems with Stihl string trimmers, and blowers. The Stihl chainsaw we have has not been used much at all. I don't want this to turn into a Stihl bash OR a 'rah rah go Stihl all the way' type of thread. I'm just interested in the Deere saws. Everything at where I work that is a Deere manufactured/branded product has worked as expected. So I'm basing my experiences with Deere on that.

• yellowfever
    16 years ago

ing3 wrote: "Let me rephrase that, we have had problems with Stihl string trimmers, and blowers".

My statements hold true for Stihl trimmers and blowers as well....what kind of problems are your "operators" experiencing.....they are bullet proof. They don't own the majority of the commercial market from owners with down time.

Deere is a marvelous company that makes many great machines.....chainsaws in not one of themÂ..In fact they are usually just branded Deere. If you are in the market for an ok consumer grade chainsaw than Deere might be acceptable. If youÂre looking commercial I would say Stihl, Husq or Jonsered, and some of the Echo line. Deere is not in the same league. If youÂre looking consumer/residential grade a better saw for maybe a little more would be husq or echo.

• deeredoctor
    16 years ago

Yes, the older saws were poulan, then echo, then homelite, and now Oleo-Mac. Deere does not manufacture small hand held equipment. The Oleo-Mac is considered a pro series saw and has a high chain speed. I would put it up against a sim saw from echo or husqv.

I am told that Efco is the parent company now?

Here is a link that might be useful: Efco Power

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting