Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gravely riding tractor:

Posted by rustyj14 W/PA (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 17, 11 at 20:46

Last summer, a fellow dropped off a Gravely rear engine tractor, with a problem. When you would drive it around, the tranny would grind and groan. I check for low oil, no oil, binding brakes, but couldn't figger out what the problem was, so he took it back home.
I have heard the the wrong oil in a Troy-bilt tiller tranny will cause that problem. could that have been the problem in the Gravely? I am not equipped, nor learned enough about that make, to dig into the working parts.
Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gravely riding tractor:

Hi-ho!! Everybody asleep? Does anybody have any info on those Gravely tractors? Or am i asking the wrong questions? Or, am i mixed up about the whole thing?
I do have a friend who owns one, but, he's gone to Florida for several months, to warm up! So, i can't ask him.
An answer isn't critical, as i do not have the tractor here, but i am trying to further my knowlege about the brand. Being 86+ YOA, i am not feeble, decrepit, stupid, or crazy. I am of the feeling, that any older person, who sits down in his easy chair after retirement, will have no use for information about anything, except to ask for directions to the Cemetary!

o

The Gravely takes stright 30 W oil in the tranny. They are extreamly durable and trasmission disasembly is fairly stright forward....UNLESS you plan on removing the PTO. They are a bear and can be dangerious to remove unless you have the right tools. Are you sure the noise is comming from the tranny and not one of the exterior clutches?

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 27, 11 at 11:28

Go to the Gravely Forum at MTF, lots of knowledgeable folks there.

o

No, not sure where the noise was coming from. Thats why i inquired about the problem. It sounded like something was "squeezing" the gears. I finally solved the problem, though. I called him and told him i didn't know enough about the brand, to go fooling around in its guts!
I work on regular lawn tractors, and leave those other ones to the experts in their fields.

o

What model # Gravely are you talking about?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here