Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twiztidpod

wiring a briggs & stratton 18 hp engine

twiztidpod
15 years ago

I have just aquirred a Briggs and Stratton 18 horse engine Model number 422707. I have the engine mounted on my workbench and want to work on it there. How can I wire the engine so that I can start it on my workbench ?? I dont need to run the voltmeter or lights or anything while it's on the bench. I think I have all the parts, but am one of the many who is totally confused by wiring. Can someone help ?? Thank you in advance.

Comments (6)

• tomplum
    15 years ago

Bolt the beast down well! I assume you have just the pigtail from the alternator and the single wire to the coil. The single wire will need to be grounded to the block to kill the engine, open to run. For a temporary solution, you could jump start. Positive battery cable to the starter lug, tap the cable from the battery neg terminal to a safe spot on the block (it will spark) If you want to wire in a starter switch, let us know. Parts wise you just need a solenoid and switch and a bit of wire.

• bill_kapaun
    15 years ago

IF it has a carb fuel solenoid, that will have to have 12V to retract the plunger.

• walt2002
    15 years ago

As said above and you will need to hold the choke open, without a cable or some means of holding it, it will alternately jiggle shut/open. I just clamp positve jump cable clamp to the starter terminal, touch the block with the ground (away from the carb) IF it does have the carb solenoid Bill mentioned, this will not work, you will need to clamp the ground, use a light jumper from the positive to the solenoid, touch the starter terminal nut with the positive clamp. Touching the starter terminal stud will burn it. Better yet put a battery cable on the starter terminal and touch the other end of it with the positive clamp.

Walt Conner

• twiztidpod
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for the great information. I wired it today with a keyswtich and solenoid, and the beast fired right up. it ran a little rough, but it has been sitting out for over a year that I know of. With a little tuning I think it's going to be a fine engine.

I have another identical engine that I am working on, it has starter or valve issues, I am still trying to work that one out, but Walt sent me some great information. I'll keep you posted on that one as well. Thank you all for your input.
    Dennis.

• taniamarie1_verizon_net
    12 years ago

Can I eliminate the soleniod from the carburator, I have not being able to find a plug and seal for it is no longer available Please help thanks

• fenderforme_netzero_com
    12 years ago

hi all i have a qestion that i hope can be answered. i have poulan riding mower that had an 17 hp i/c single cylinder on it that blew up, my dad had a 18 hp opposing twin cylinder lying around have already bolted the motor on and hooked everything up except the wiring, not sure how to wire it up the 18 has a yellow wire from the coil and the red and white wire from the stator, the mower its self has the same plug for the white and red wire, but is orange and red, also the other motor had the high speed cut off that went to the carbuerator, it is white and black. when i plugged the red and white wire to the red and orange wire together and ran the mower, my key switch would not cut it off. just wonder if any one on here has done this. any info on this would be greatful thanks.

Sponsored