Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tractor, Briggs 24Hp engine, backfires

Posted by altevon none (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 22:26

I have a Briggs & Stratton 24 hp engine model 446677 0463 E1 on a Husqvarna YTH2448 riding tractor. The engine backfires (pretty much at all speeds except when blades are engaged), uses fair amount of oil, and produces blue exhaust smoke. Operating time 130 hours.
Question: How to fix the engine? Must I replace the engine?
Thanks, Altevon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tractor, Briggs 24Hp engine, backfires

First "guess" would be a blown head gasket, due to the blue smoke/oil consumption.

Typically, if you remove the valve covers, one at a time, (have a rag handy). Start engine and look for a "vapor" blowing out toward the push rod side.
You can probably get a good guess for the cylinder to check by picking the one with the darkest, oiliest spark plug.

Also, when the valve cover is off, check to see that the push rods are where they should be and that as the engine rotates, they have full travel. Some of these engines had "soft" cam shafts.

I'd suggest going to the Briggs website and downloading the IPL for your specific engine. That way, you have a better idea of what the parts look like, terminology etc. etc.

o

Hi Bill_K and thank you.
I followed your advice. Got the parts manual and removed the spark plugs. Plug on cylinder #1 was full of carbon. Removed the valve/rocker covers and adjusted valve clearance to specs. Checked compression and found cylinder #1 was way low when compared to cylinder # 2. Removed the suspect cylinder head #1 but did not notice any damage to the Gasket or to the mating surfaces. Inspected the cylinder bore for any scratched that would indicate broken rings. Bore looks very good. Fair amount of carbon on head dome and valves.
Have not cleaned / removed the valves or cleaned the mating surfaces. I will buy a new gasket set and plan to take the head with me to the parts store. Perhaps they have some advise.
Will also need Torque specs and torque sequence. The manuals are silent on this subject. Where can I find this info?
Thanks again, Altevon

o

So was it blowing vapor?

https://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/html/engine-specs/briggs/common_specs_for_intek_vtwin_engines.pdf

o

Bill I was in a closed room (inadequate ventilation). In retrospect I should have gone through the trouble, move the tractor outside and test as you advised - a positive indicator for a blown gasket! Well, too late now, lesson learned. Thanks for youir quick response and also for the link to the spec sheets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here