Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larso1

Tecumseh out of the gas engine business

larso1
15 years ago

From what I've been reading, Tecumseh is out of the small gas engine mfg business as of Dec. 15, 2008. Sad. I have a couple Tecumseh-powered units, an old riding mower and a walk-behind tiller. I guess I'd better get the spare parts I need before they're gone. Apparently they still have a refrigeration compressor division, and Husqvarna bought their Peerless Transmission division.

Bill

Comments (26)

• canguy
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The engine division has been purchased by a company that says it will continue to make parts available. They may get into engine production later. Two questions remain. For how long and will they continue to use the current distribution system?

• sergeant
    15 years ago

I always had bad luck with techumsa engine's when the were in lawn or Garden Tractors. Some bad designs there espcially on the old John Deere 110 and 112 Bad Head design I should say. But never had a problem with there engines in Snow blower's.

• rcmoser
    15 years ago

I'm Not suprised with all the cheap honda knock-offs from china (the guestion is what's not makde in china any more?)they just can't compete even in the low end line. Most cases it's just cheaper to buy new 149 dollar engine for the tiller, snowblower, generator, powerwasher, waterpump, push mower, log splitter, ect. than it would be to repair any brand engine. I wouldn't be suprised if you see more get out of it.

• sergeant
    15 years ago

rcmoser that is exactly what Sears is doing with there Craftsman snow blower line they are buying aftermarket China made engines.

• canguy
    15 years ago

The manufacturers have little choice. Briggs and Kohler are the only north American manufacturers left and they cannot meet demand. Both of them are importing engines built in their Chinese plants.
    Sears does not build engines or equipment, they buy most of it from American Yard Products (Husqvarna), Murray (Briggs and Stratton), and MTD (who are importing Chinese equipment).

• tomplum
    15 years ago

The sad thing is that the manufacturers did and do have a choice. There are many workers looking to fill those jobs. I will argue that a US manufacturing plant can produce quality products that economically can be sold in the US and much of the world. Cheapest/ fastest also can equal products that are built in ways that are produced with a much greater environmental and social impact. I grew up in Wisconsin, a place that much of the OPE industry had its roots. Kohler, WI was in fact a planned community built around the industries of Kohler bath and engines. A real company town at it's inception. Kohler has built a reputation over the years as a standard in these industries. So, I have a bit of trouble believing that US consumer won't purchase a WPM with a US built Kohler for a few extra $ than one built in China.

• rcmoser
    15 years ago

I have my own opinions on the state of our jobs I put most of the blame on the EPA, but even before the EPA was formed to get us off foriegn oil (what a joke) outsourcing had been a way of business for 15 years. Remember when you chevy had the funny sized bolts and nuts on them (about 1968ish). Your managers/CEOs could save on parts procurement which lead to bigger bonuses. ALong about 1980s they took it one step further (aided by your government restrictions) and move plants south and west which reduced the blue collar labor force (walla the mulit-million dollar bonus and stock options). 75 cents and hour can go along ways in shipping when compaired to 8 to 20 bucks and hour plus benifits and this was 25 years ago. Walla, today indurstrialize world moved south and west which means millions of jobs illimated. what do we have left. china even counterfieting our money and our government can't or won't do nothing cause of the system, greasing of high government policktisions, and no authority or willing to pentalized china with tarriffs. Slick willie still getting greased from china IMO.

• sergeant
    15 years ago

canguy Already Know Who that about sears Equipment most of the snow blowers made under the Craftsman label are made by MTD. There was a article in the Newspaper Advertising it as Sears will no longer be buying engines for there snow blowers in the U.S. or something to that reguard

• gorper99
    15 years ago

Janesville Gazette.com.Parts and maybe engines will be made in Janesville Wisconsin.

• swanboat
    15 years ago

I have a 9hp (hmsk90)tecumseh on my snowblower and have just put in a new carb with new linkage. I took off the governor arm to connect new linkage and now I have to adjust the correct(rpm) setting. What is the proper way to set the adjustment? I tried to set the throttle on "full" and adjust it that way and boy, the engine screams if I go to far with the setting! I just was wondering if there was a rule of thumb on setting it. Thank you.

• wally2q
    15 years ago

not to be stirring the pot, but the reality (as harsh at it may sound) goes like this:

you can buy a small engine made in the US or Canada for $350 for example, and sell it for $450. You make $100 every time. You sell 10 machines, you make $1000.

you then have a choice, to buy a crappy chinese engine for $150 and sell it for the same $450. You make $300 every time but you sell only 7 out of 10 machines, because some people don't want a chinese engine. You make $2,100 instead of $1000 before.
    So... do you want to make $1000 or $2,100?.... the decision is easy people. Anyone would make that decision. You don't have to be a greedy CEO to want to make $2100 instead of $1000. Right?

In school, they teach this subject called "economics". It's not rocket science.

Of course there are other issues at play: like $100,000 salaries for unionized line workers putting nuts on bolts 8 hours per day. That $350 north-american built engine could possibly cost $250 if labour was cheaper.... But that's another debate.

The downfall is that at the end of the day, the result is that the unemployed engine assembler will then not be able to buy any mower (chinese or north-american), therefore, shrinking the overall market. So in that situation, instead of selling 7 out of 10 chinese engines, you sell for example 4 out of a total market of 8. You still earn $1200, instead of the original $1000. You are still better off!!!....

You can't cheat economics folks. math is math.

• rcmoser
    15 years ago

What happens when there are little home owners to mow the grass and thoses cheap china engine ruins you business repuation and there girlfriends or second and thirds squeezes push in there chips? I dought they are giving 150 bucks for them when I see tham on sale of 149 to 200 up to 13 HP?. then, the economics game plan may come back to bit them. Then, they steal all the companies money and put the poor salesman and distributor out of work. THEN,They cry bailout and get paid again for doing stupid s$$T. Even if the poor home owners gets bailed out, in the end there still going to take the home, now that's economics.

• njdpo
    15 years ago

As mentioned earlier - a Union worker gets paid for bolting a cylinder head to a block when I high school student - could and should be doing it while completing college. Hell - lets face it most 8 year olds could handle the task.

The unions served there purpose many years ago... But at this point they only contribute to Techumeh's dilemma and its going out of business (and GM and Chrysler as well).

People who have not graduated high school, and those who aspire to do nothing more than bolt bumpers and mufflers on Chevy's should not be rewarded lifetime retirement agreements while the rest of the US workers are wondering what their futures look like when there 65 ...

I wonder about GM, Chrysler and Ford ... Lets say GM/Chrysler go bankrupt and they restructure. This gives them the flexibility to tell the UAW to get lost (and they will) ... IF there lucky this might help them (if its not too late).

But where does that leave Ford ? They dont seem to be in quiet as much trouble ... yet... You know Ford will have to go through chemotherapy to get rid of the UAW cancer as well... Simply just to compete - you dont think the UAW will realize they should be re-negotiating ... do you ?

Perhaps the UAW should head on over to China to level the playing field for us here in the USA... Having been a union worker for several years (while going through school) and seeing their ridiculous practices - I can tell you we'd easily be better of without them.

And yes those who would flame me in response - well you know exactly where their bread is buttered ... dont you?

• steve2ski
    15 years ago

njdpo,
    Not and never have been a union worker, one of GM problems appear to be with Saturn model, I thought this was a non-union model and your answer to this is?
    I think its the way the standard cost business models are put together. You know the companys have to sign the agreements with the union. I think we would be better off if the companys would proberly fund the retirement packages when agreed on rather to delay them and fund on future sales (kind of like credit card debt). What do you think?

• mownie
    15 years ago

Saturn UAW? Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Saturn and UAW

• mownie
    15 years ago

Unions are but one facet of the unshiny economic profile of today's world{{gwi:315727}}

• njdpo
    15 years ago

Because Saturn falls under the umbrella of GM - the sexually transmitted UAW disease was passed along. I'm reasonably sure that anyone starting a new automotive mfg co. would not be welcoming the UAW to their tables for lunch. (Even if the UAW was buying.)

And that's what the restructuring (aka bankruptcy filing) is all about - a new start... Heck the banks got a new start - why not the auto industry too?

The problem with this picture is the customer's perception. Just as it is with the banks today, where do you put your money? Lets say GM goes bankrupt with the sole purpose of restructuring...

And lets say you're a dedicated GM/Chevy/Caddy/Saturn/Pontiac/Buick customer, and your current vehicle is getting a little worn around the edges... Its getting time to buy something new, and while you still have a job - its really no more secure than mine or the neighbors down the street.

You and the wife have been casually considering/looking at the new addition to the family for several weeks but Obama hasn't gotten the economic train back on the tracks yet so you'll wait a bit longer - no rush. (please - lets not make this a political debate as well... please).

Then the tranny gives up the ghost (or the current vehicle is in an accident), insurance and warranties don't pick up the bill and your suddenly liking that new GM product a whole lot more...

Honey - the weathers supposed to be nice tomorrow - perhaps we should go have a good look at that new GM we've been considering.

While watching the TV that evening ... The perfectly glamorous overpaid news reporter - reports GM has gone bankrupt... Now what? Rumors tell us they'll be right back.

Admittedly - Im not a lucky man (I fix my own lawn mowers for Christs sake !! ... this is a lawn mower forum right? :) Ive been burned countless times before... Do I buy the GM? We all want to believe they (GM) will be back right ? Hmmmm - the banks are doing just dandy...

Do I buy a cheap used GM, and wait out the storm? (which puts me in the same parts and service boat) Or do I buy a Ford or Chrysler ? Who are now sweating bullets because IF GM pulls off the restructuring (big IF here folks) ... There is NO WAY Ford and Chrysler can compete with GM's new restructured non-UAW model ...

Now Ford and Chrysler must go to the same well - and drink the same smelly chemotherapy water...

What do I do ? what do I buy ? Do I buy the GM new anyway, do I buy a ford which is probably 3 steps behind GM? Do I buy foreign?

The answers are not very clear, and most certainly - uncertain.

It should be noted:
    * I wish nothing bad upon the little guy (the actual union worker bolting bumpers on chevy's). Its them who are caught in the middle, and to some extent they are loyal to those which they work for. With an absence of the UAW - I suspect they are in fear of the unknown.
    * That I am not a GM fan - regardless of my US mfg preference. We do NOT want any of these companies to go under, an enormous part of our economy is fed through them.
    * Healthy competition is required between these companies, without it - we all loose.

I suspect we'll be alright once the US auto mfg(s) gets the UAW monkey off its back.

Long live the US automotive industry (without the UAW)...

I wish them (and us) the best of luck, their going to need it.

• larso1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

njdpo, I believe you're the first poster who's brought "sex" into the lawn tractor mix, and with STD's no less. LOL! Somehow, I feel kind of proud being the OP of this ground-breaking thread. LOL again!

• starhust
    15 years ago

You're over looking the real reason. Those Chinese Honda clone engines are excellent! They sell for a low price and they are a high quality product.

• redwood1
    15 years ago

The quality of Tecumsehs snow blower engines didn't help them to survive. My Troy bilt snow blower with a Tecumseh engine threw a rod for no apparent reason. Yes I had plenty of oil, and I'm not alone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tecumseh Engines Prone to throwing Rods

• mownie
    15 years ago

"Tecumseh Engines Prone to Throwing Rods"
    Not exactly what you would label "an objective study". Fits more along the lines of "here are a few opinions that echo my own". I'm fairly sure that a number of people will speak up to defend their preferred product while others will join in the "big bash".

• njdpo
    15 years ago

I not a big fan of Tecumseh engines - but I must admit the 5hp I have on my Ariens snow blower and the old dinosaur 10HP on my old craftsman have been outstanding.

Im very pleased with the way both of them are holding up (the Ariens motor is about 4-5 years old now).

Dave

• walt2002
    15 years ago

>Tecumseh Engines Prone to Throwing Rods

>Not exactly what you would label "an objective study"

Maybe not but that has been my history with them and the fore runner, Lauson motors. Their reputation was so bad for throwing rods and breaking crankshafts they had to change the name.

Walt Conner

• canguy
    15 years ago

Some models were less than memorable, the cast iron HH70 and OHH series come to mind. The LAV engines were another story altogether.Properly tuned, they would start with a quick flip, idle dead slow, and seemed to run forever. We still see the occasional Toro Whirlwind show up for service. The TVS (Sears Eager 1) was another success.

• tomb215
    15 years ago

Does anyone have a reliable internet source for purchasing Tecumsehs small enging parts, carburetors, etc.

• windcatcher
    15 years ago

tomb215: Just two weeks ago I was able to purchase air filters and carb kits for a 3.5 & 4.0 HP horizontal shaft Tecumseh engines at A-1 autoparts - Carquest in my itty bitty home town of 14k people. They had some parts in stock, and had to order the rest. The parts were here in 3 or 4 days.

Might be something to check out.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living