Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Greasing a JD X500 mower deck

Posted by bckskin2 5 Il (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 7:08

How do I tell when I have enough grease in my X500 mower deck spindles?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Greasing a JD X500 mower deck

It is important to always make sure you clean off the zerk before engaging the tip of the grease gun to it.
About every 3rd or 4th mowing (or sooner if desired), give each spindle/zerk about 3 pumps of grease with a hand powered grease gun.
Grease is the cheapest part to replace on a machine, and the easiest to install.

o

Mownie, good advice. At the start of the season how much should I put in?
On my big tractor I can see grease coming out when it's full.
Jerry

o

Mower decks on X500 JDs have naked (without seals on either side) caged ball bearings . There are seals at either end of the spindle so pump till the grease oozes and then stop.

Get you some of these Zerk caps. They're great for keeping Zerks clean.

o

One of the three oozes the other two the grease backs up and come out around the nozzle. I poke the zerks with a pin to see if the ball was stuck and they both moved. Is too much gunk built-up around the spindles?
Thanks,
Jerry

o

Does your grease gun have an adjustable collar at the Zerk?

If it does then you might need to seat the grease gun on the Zerk and judiciously tighten the collar for a good connection. Loosen the collar slightly to remove the grease gun.

o

• Posted by dennyin Central Indiana (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 20:57

Make sure you push the collar straight on the zerk and keep it straight, sometimes skewing the angle of the collar to the zerk will cause it to leak at the connection. If the zerk is plugged, which is doubtful, but if it is, there is a tool that you fill with light oil, attach to the zerk and then smack the tool with a hammer, that will usually blow the zerk open.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here