Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scrapbone

Husqvarna vs Craftsman

scrapbone
15 years ago

I have just purchased a home with about an acre of mostly flat lawn and had narrowed my search for a new riding mower down to a couple of 42" Craftsman models, but in doing so have learned about them being Husqvarnas. Lowes has a 46" Husky for $1600 that I am now considering, but my question is about accessories and service. Will craftsman accessories work on the Husky? If I go Craftsman do they have a decent service center or should I take a mower to an independent dealer/servicer regardless? The Craftsman 4500 series has great reviews, but the 3500 series or even the 2000 series is probably all I need for simply mowing and maybe pulling a spreader. Any input about which way to go is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Doug

Comments (8)

• tuco
    15 years ago

You can't lose going with the Craftsman 4500 series or comparable Husqvarna for the type of yard you describe. I had a YS4500 for 3 years before moving on to a garden tractor and it served my needs well. It's a bit more than a lawn tractor but not as much as a garden tractor. Perfect for what you have in mind and the price is below $2K if you get it on a discount promotion that Sears is usually running.

I had the YS4500 with a 24 HP V-Twin Briggs and K46 Hydro Tranny - it was great tractor until my needs changed. You really can't beat Sears/Craftsman tractors in terms of price and value as long as you don't work them beyond their engineered limits. Good maintenance and staying within the tractor's capabilities are the key.

Godd Luck!

• sergeant
    15 years ago

AYP(Husqvarna) is the manufacturer of both Craftsman tractors and Husqvarna Tractors the attachmnet are interchangeable. For an acre I would purchase a tractor at least with a 46inch mowing deck if not a 48inch mowing deck.
    AYP(Husqvarna)Tractor Brands
    Husqvarna
    Craftsman
    Poulan
    Poulan Pro
    Ralley
    Ariens new Yard Tractor's

Here is a link that might be useful: Husqvarna

• gdj204
    15 years ago

I have the DYS4500 24hp/42-in. and it seems to be an OK tractor (growing up on a farm with real tractors, it's hard to call a lawn tractor a tractor). My property is hilly, so I had to switch to ag tires w/ ww fluid to get any traction at all. I also opted for the lawn sweeper in lieu of bagger attachment, but I'm a little worried about the K46 tranny, I think that is the weak link in the powertrain, especially pulling the sweeper. It is a flimsy tractor, but prolly the best new one out there for $1500.

As for service, I've had poor luck with Sears, forever to get parts, etc., so I would look into an OPE dealer, or get your parts off the internet and fix yourself.

• scrapbone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all of the input. Every mower I've researched has somebody telling me its the best and someone else saying it's the worst, so I guess it's pretty much a crap shoot. You all seem to think the DYS 4500 is my best bet and frankly I tend to agree at this point. Next small issue: I had a friend at Sears once tell me to never get an extended warranty and I agree with that for almost every item out there...but what about lawn mowers and their high instance of breakdown? Even American Express won't cover them with their warranty protection. Any thoughts?

• metal
    15 years ago

I would save the money you would spend on the warranty and use it to take your tractor to a reputable local shop to get fixed if something happens (hopefully nothing will and you can pocket the money). If something is going to go wrong due to manufacturing it should happen relatively quickly, after that it is just wear parts which are relatively cheap fixes. I wouldn't worry too much about the K46 tranny, it has shown to hold up pretty well for light duty work.

• scrapbone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That sounds like good advice. Thanks for talking me off the ledge!

• deercub
    15 years ago

Before you do that you could also call the local deer/simplicity dealers and see if they have any used units in good shape. I ended up getting a gt-235 with a new 48 deck for 1900 and that thing will run circles around anything mtd or ayp will ever make. Not to mention it will be doing it 15 years later and parts will still be easy to get.

Worth a try anyways.

• scrapbone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah, I had been thinking about Deer, but at the homeowner level their reviews seemed worse than craftsman. Then again Consumer Reports has the Deer LA 115 as their top pick. The Craftsman 28828 was in second place. At this point I might just have to flip a coin between these two or ask my two year old if he likes the green one or the gold one!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio