Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neilrpf

Difficulty Turning Left - GT5000

neilrpf
15 years ago

I have a 2004 Craftsman GT5000 that I have recently encountered difficulty with when turning left. I hear a clicking noise and have to turn the wheel several times to get it to turn. I have stopped using this garden tractor until I can find resolution.

My question is: has anyone encountered this problem and if so, what did you do to correct it?

Thank you all in advance, for any guidance you can offer.

Comments (7)

• mownie
    15 years ago

There are a couple of things (or conditions) that can cause this, it may be a combination of them. (1) Wear to the gear teeth of the "sector gear". The sector gear is the large, flat, "crescent shaped" component at the bottom of the steering column. The sector gear converts the circular motion of turning the steering wheel into linear motion for operating the steering links that attach to the "knuckles" on the ends of the steering axle. (2) Wear to the sector gear pivot pin and bushing. This is where the sector gear is fixed to the chassis or frame. (3) Wear to the "pinion gear". This is the gear at the bottom of the steering column that meshes with the sector gear. (4) Wear to the steering column shaft (tube) and the support bushings for the shaft. You can observe what is happening by watching the sector gear and pinion while someone else operates the steering wheel in the "left turn direction". This is done while the machine is not running and while it is sitting with all wheels on the ground. You will probably have to lie down to get a good view of the gears. You will probably see the pinion gear teeth "jump over" the teeth on the sector gear. Watch closely to detect any movement or motion in the steering shaft bushing and in the sector gear bushing/pin when the "jumping" occurs. If you see the steering shaft/pinion gear move with a lot of "slack", the steering shaft and/or bushing is worn. If you see a lot of motion in the sector gear, the wear is in the sector gear pin and bushing. As stated earlier, there may be enough wear in several places to add up to the clearance needed for the pinion teeth to jump teeth on the sector gear

• terpam
    15 years ago

Neilrpf,

I have a similar problem on my older Craftsman. I took the whole steering assembly out, as I could not tell exactly was worn.(say alot of prayers before doing this!)There was about a quarter turn in my steering wheel before the wheels moved at all, and turning was very difficult. Good luck on your work.

terpam

• atschirner
    15 years ago

I had this problem on an early '90s Craftsman. I think it was a 3000 series mower. What I found was the pinion gear at the bottom of the steering shaft was held on by an allen head screw threaded in from the bottom of the shaft. That screw had backed off enough to allow the gears to jump. The correction was reassembly with blue loctite and it has been trouble free since.

This seems to be a common problem since Sears includes steering wheel recentering instructions in the owner's manual.

Think Spring!

• esemilio
    15 years ago

I had a similar problem on a 1997 Yardman. A bushing had worn causing the steering arm to the wheel to sag and bind/scrape on the front axles. Unlike you, when I heard the clicking I did not stop and fully diagnose the problem and I ended up replacing the steering column - the teeth had worn out. (I kept on looking for the problem at the mechanism at the bottom of the steering column rather than looking at the whole mechanical linkage!) Good Luck!

• rcmoser
    15 years ago

Mostly likely the bushings and bracket that holds the arm that comes up to the sector gear. What I observed on mine was the bushing get warn and alows slack which alow the sector gear to slip making the clicking noise. the bracket wear causes the steering wheel slack. They seems to take the most pressure. But, might as well see if anything else is worn and replace it while you've got it apart. NOT A FUN OR EASY JOB! Sears probably sells these parts by the ton. there is a bushing half way up the steering shaft that also wears, don't froget to check that. you can also shim up between the sector gear with thin washers which will further reduce steering wheel slop from left to right.

• tomplum
    15 years ago

You could post the 917 model # for more specifics. Good advice from above. The clicking noise indicates a problem in the sector. All I can add is if there is a sector kit- buy it- don't piece mill together. I've also seen where drag link gets bent after the tire hits a hard object and affects how much it will steer right. Also, take the Sears part # and price them at an EHP/ AYP dealer and you may find a $$ difference.

• neilrpf
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you very much to all of you for providing me all these tips and helpful information regarding my steering problem. Weather permitting, today I am going to take this info and take a look at everything, (or try to anyway). It would be great if it is simply tightening something, but I suspect I will have to order some parts. I was on the Sears site for my model (917.276101), and took a look at the steering assembly. Jeez, there's a lot of parts that make it up. But hopefully, with the great info I got here from you guys and after some troubleshooting, I will know exactly what I need to order so I can turn left again. Thanks again!

Sponsored
More Discussions