Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman Garden Tractor Won't keep running

Posted by tennesseewalker missouri (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 12:28

22 hp kohler engine will start with starter fluid, but won't keep running.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman Garden Tractor Won't keep running

Disassemble the carburetor and give it a judicious cleanout using spray carb cleaner and compressed air.
You might also want to post the engine model number and the Craftsman technical model number (9 digit number under the seat).
Of course, if this machine has a fuel cutoff solenoid valve on the carburetor, that might not be working and could cause the same symptom you are reporting.
Take your can of "starting fluid" and throw it in the trash.
You should not use it on these light duty engines.
Spray carburetor cleaner is much safer (for the engine) to use as an alternate fuel by spraying into the carb throat when diagnosing fuel problems.

o

I had a similar issue. Check my thread from 3/17.

o

For what it's worth, if you are going to cite a particular post or thread, you should do it as a link.
When somebody stumbles across this a few years from now, 3/17 will not be very helpful. :^)

Here is a link that might be useful: Mohelpfulthanadateonacalendar

o

thanks for the tip, I can dig it. I just have to figure out how to do it!

This post was edited by Mocrazy on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 11:21

o

I really doubt the "cure" from "3/17" applies in this case.
IF it were a bad key switch, it wouldn't run on starting fluid.

o

I never said it was a "cure"' and if you read my post I said I had to hold the "key switch"'i.e. ignition switch to the start position to keep it running. But, thanks for feedbback, it was very revealing.

o

Easy Mocrazy.

Bill is just trying to keep the OP focused. As Bill described, the two problems have already been proven to be different since the OP has confirmed that his motor will start on starter fluid but will not stay running. If it was a malfunctioning key or switch the motor wouldn't even hiccup.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here