Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reck62

Electric problem Kohler engine

reck62
12 years ago

I have a Craftsman GT tractor (mdl #917-272950) with a 20 hp Kohler engine ( MDl # CV20S-65561 ) That does not charge the battery. what should be the plan of attack? Replace the rectifier/regulator?

Thank you

Comments (13)

• bill_kapaun
    12 years ago

TEST!
    IF the alternator is bad, replacing the regulator won't do much.
    Disconnect the regulator.
    With the engine at high speed, you should have 28 VAC (minimum) between the YELLOW wires from the alternator.

• tomplum
    12 years ago

If you do find that you have no output from the 2 outer wires, you would want to pull the flywheel before ordering a stator as loose flywheel magnets are common enough. There are resistance test you can do on the stator as well if needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler

• reck62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Will test and get back to you after the weekend

• reck62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tested and minimal (10 ) ouput on yellow wires. I have heard of loose flywheel magnets as the cause of this problem before. Is there a way to fix replace the magnets( if that is indeed the cause) or does the Flywheel need replaced as a whole?

Thank you for your time

• reck62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll revise my previous post a little. ( if it matters ) The VAC output between the WHITE wires ( coming from under the shroud to the 2 outer postions on the restifier regulator is about 10-13 at full throtle. Any input from there would be great. Thanks

• bill_kapaun
    12 years ago

If that's the voltage you have with the plug disconnected from the regulator and high engine speed, than the alternator is NOT producing 28 VAC MINIMUM required.

Time to dig into it.

• reck62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was afraid you would say that. Is it possbile to replace the magnets on the flywheel. I saw a video on youtube that showed how to dissasemble the top of the engine, doesn't look too hard. But it didn't show anything about the magnets. Or, while I have it torn apart, should I replace the Stator and all?

Thank you

• tomplum
    12 years ago

The correct method is to replace the flywheel should the magnets be loose. I've seen the magnets chew everything to bits to causing no damage at all. Some will epoxy magnets back on, but I never have. The risk for big damage is there. I had a single a couple of weeks ago that had 1 VAC output that I had briefly flashed the 12v over to the AC and it charged and stayed that way so far. Never expected it to really. Figured I needed a stator. May yet. Other than that, it comes apart.

• reck62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Not sure what you mean by flashing the 12 v over to the AC. But anyway, Tearing apart the engine I go. Will let you know what I find. thanks for the advice.

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Touch the center terminal which goes to the battery to a running AC stator terminal. It is an old generator trick that shouldn't apply to this anyways, but it surprisingly did for me. I was looking at replacing the stator anyways.

• reck62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Flashing didn't do the trick for me; Tearing the engine apart this coming weekend( had to order some parts) I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks for the help

• reck62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Replaced the Stator over the weekend and it appears it has done the trick. Pretty simple to do and it only took me maybe an hour to do. There is a video on Youtube showing step by step instructions and was very helpful. the hardest part was getting the shroud off. Thanks to all who responded.

• bill_kapaun
    12 years ago

Glad it's working AND that you reported the result!!!!

Sponsored