Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
egghead2004

John Deere spreader

egghead2004
16 years ago

Last spring I bought a JD broadcast spreader (BST35JD). I used it maybe 3 times during the summer and once this winter to spread salt on the driveway.

So now it stopped spreading. The wheels move but the drive to the spreader is not spinning anymore. So I think the little transaxle is broke inside.

Dumb me, I probably threw out the receipt so I can't return it.

Does anyone here know anything about these? Can it be fixed or can I order just the part from somewhere?

The

Comments (13)

• johndeere
    16 years ago

Did you wash out the salt and any fertilizer when finished?If not its more then likley corroded unless its all plastic?

• soccer_dad
    16 years ago

Doesn't this model have a pin to allow both free wheel and engage the spreader and did you remember to put the pin back in the axle? Otherwise, I would spray down the gear box with fluid film or wd-40 to get it loosened up. Agree it is probably corroded up.

• egghead2004
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nah, it's the transmission. The axle that goes through it spins, but the drive shaft that spins the fan does nothing at all.

The good news is that I called Brinly, they are the ones who make the unit. I provided a serial number of the spreader and they are shipping me a new transmission today.

Here is the link to Brinly'

http://www.brinly.com/manuals/John-Deere-Products/parts/BST35Parts.pdf

Some one at least is supporting their product.

On a side note...Stay away from the John Deere dealer in Millbury, MA

I went to them for help since I bought the X300 and the plow in 2006. They said if I didn't buy the spreader from them, they could not help me. These guys are crooks. I told the manager the reason I didn't buy it from them was because they were selling it for $369 instead of the $249 Lowes was selling it for at the time. The manager told me it is a different unit, I proved to him it was the same unit. Then I also laid it on him how the sales man Jeff screwed me over on the plow purchase by lying about the extra $175 for the plow frame attachment. When my order finally came in months after I ordered, there was no extra frame attachment for my blade or the x300, he just charged me for it. Since I bought a few other things on tax free day, he lumped the entire bill together, never itemized each part and price so I couldn't go back and tell them what that scumbag Jeff did. Long story there, but I'm done with them.

• zoomboy
    16 years ago

Why didn't you bring it back to Lowes since that is where you purchased it? I'm sorry but you bring your spreader to them with no receipt and what did you expect? BTW did they credit you for the $175?

Jeff

• steve2ski
    16 years ago

I don't have a bone to pick with JD dealers, But the dealers here would be glad to help you. But of course they want to be paid, no receipt, no warranty. But they will sell you the service.
    I get a kick out of people that think John Deere service is free, I have experienced normally excellant service from JD, but not free.

• zoomboy
    16 years ago

Well having had personal experience with this particular dealer I would be hard pressed to call them "crooks". I have had zero issues with them. As far as the $175 frame issue I'm inclined to say it was an honest mistake.

Jeff

• wheelhorse_of_course
    16 years ago

My guess is that a chunk of rock salt jammed the mechanism causing the gearbox to strip.

I am glad brinley was helpful.

• egghead2004
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I wasn't expecting the JD dealer to give a new spreader or anything. All I was asking them is how to get a new transmission and the answer I got is that we can't help you, you didn't buy it here. Although I did buy $4500 worth of equipment from them in the last 2 years.

That is my problem, I was a customer who spent good money here and they won't even help me find the part I need. They said I have to buy a new spreader.

As for the blade screw, it was on a tax free weekend in August 06. I bought the blade, the rear weight holder, JD buckets, chains, and some other equipment.

The blade was not in stock so I had to wait for a while to get that.

I was told the blade was $450, the frame attaching mechanism was $175, buckets were $25, the rear weight bucket holder $70. When the sales guy wrote it up on the slip, he didn't itemize it, he just put the final total sale hand written on the slip.

I went to pick up the blade, weight holder, chains, and buckets 3 months later. When I got home I opened the box and there was no extra attachment needed fot the blade. There was not even one at all, such a part does no t exist for the X300. Also the buckets which he told me that were $25, had price sticker on them of $7.99. I did go back with my sales slip and nothing was listed out, that was the problem.

The sales man's penmanship on the hand written slip was not very good and it was the yellow carbon copy. I had no argument with them, and I could see their point, what could they do.

SO I chalk it up as I lost some money with them, I should have questioned the saleslip at the time of purchase, my fault there. That doesn't mean that that what they did is clean business practice...yes that was dishonest. The sales guy initiated this by lying about prices and equipment...crooks.

Also, the icemelt i used was those little round balls, not the chunks of rock salt. I don't see how that could have jammed up anything, and even so, regular fertilizer could have done the same damage. Geez, spend over $250 on a spreader and you have to be that carefull? I had a small Scotts spreader that spread alphalpha pellets, rock salt, and most any type of fertilizer for years. I thought I was upgrading.

• bjpbike
    16 years ago

hi

Lets put this into prespective, if I spent 4500 dollars and a dealer refused to help me he would never see my money again. Also you learned to get an itemized bill it saves hassles later.

NOW on JD and its dealers, I cant speak for the rest of the country, but here in the northeast JD has become a yuppy product. Especially in Massachusetts, many of the old established dealers has been replaced by the new sell alot at all cost dealer. Make sure you oversell as much as possible, as the name of the game is keep up with the Jones.

Many of the old dealers are no longer dealers because they refused to do this and alienate thier old clientel. JD's small line all the way up to compact tractors has become overpriced. They were selling these things like hotcakes to people who really just neeed a lawnmower. I was told and have seen there is a surplus of used tractors around now that the housing crisis has hit. All the Yuppies are selling there sub compact and compact tractors. The new dealers don't know a plow from a harrow and they are also starting to suffer, of course its Lowes and Home Depot's fault and anyone who buy's there to save a 100 bucks is stupid. I do not go there that often but if its a 100 bucks and my dealer cant meet me part way, oh well.

I do not advocate for either place, I deal with two or three small dealers and for the most part am happy, but do stray at times. By the way I bought a Mahindra from the ex JD dealer, down here and am extremely happy

• zoomboy
    16 years ago

Well, knowing the rest of the story now I can see why you are upset. I have never dealt with that particular salesman. I generally will try to work with one particular guy whom I feel I can trust there in Millbury. Sounds like your guy was too lazy to make sure that the right parts were ordered at the right price for your needs.

Jeff

• scmiller
    10 years ago

I have the same model spreader (BST-35JD) and the lever to open and close the hopper broke off. Is there a replacement for this part and if so where can I get one?
    Steve

• Chad Orstad
    8 years ago

If you are looking for the transmission, you can order thru Brinly-Hardy 866-218-8622. (Stay on the line, takes 8-10 rings)

part # F-1015

$28. 00 plus shipping

• krnuttle
    8 years ago

I believe it is the particular JD store you are dealing with. I have had dealings with the JD dealer in central lndiana and now here in the Raleigh area. I feel that I get the same consideration and service with my JF LT155 as the guy with the 150k tractor that is there buying parts. Of course there are very few Yuppies in Johnson Co North Carolina ;-)