Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sears electric clutch replacement

Posted by skywatcher12 none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 22, 11 at 13:40

I need to replace my electric clutch part number 179335 and I need to find out the torque for the bolt. The sears manual only lists the bolt as part number 85 and sears won't tell me the torque. They want to send someone out to replace the clutch. Does anyone have this information.

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sears electric clutch replacement

I recently removed and reinstalled the electric clutch on my Craftsman GT5000, while doing some other repairs. I looked through all the Briggs & Stratton torque specfications. They specify virtually every fastener on the engine EXCEPT for the crankshaft PTO bolt. Mine is a 7/16 bolt with fine threads.

For your request I, again, searched every Briggs document I have and found no specs for that torque.

So, you might want to do what I did. I figured that the only mistake I could make was to torque it too much and break the bolt! So, I tightened the bolt to about 80 Ft-lbs, rememberimg that the rotation of the engine will tend to tighten the bolt more, so there is probably no risk of the bolt backing out by itself.

o

might try this SAE torque table - if nothing else

Here is a link that might be useful: torque table

o

rcbe,

Nice torque table. I have that link salted away for future reference....

BTW, I think the bolt on the PTO to crankshaft is a 'Grade 8' 7/16 ....78 ft-lbs.....

o

My engine is a Kohler Model CV730-0017. Would the torque be the same from the Briggs & Stratton you mention?

Thank you.

o

To clarify (or add to the confusion) click the link to a recent post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Warner sez

o

skywatcher - measure the shaft diameter of the clutch retaining capscrew with a vernier caliper. .437 inches = 7/16; .375 inches = 3/8; .500 = 1/2 inch..... etc.
then look at the capscrew's head top surface: if no diagonal raised boss strips, gtade 2; if 3 diagonal raised boss strips, grade 5; if 5 diagonal raised boss strips, grade 8.

select appropriate torque value from table. Apply never-seize or equivalent to assy before torquing to facilitate future disassembly.

good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here