Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ouch !! New Starter

Posted by dirtmecnanic 7, NTex/DFW (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 14:21

Just replaced the starter on JD/Kohler CV15.......got the hi-dollar one, but on first try, starter teeth not disengaging from the flywheel and makes ugly noise.

Suggestions, please

Thanks to those who reply.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ouch !! New Starter

What exactly was your reason for replacing the starter to begin with?
I have seen cases where ignition key switches go rogue and cause the starter to remain energized after the key is let return to the run position.
Easiest way to check for that is to unplug the small wire from the solenoid and connect that wire to a test light. Then turn the key to START position. The test light should burn ONLY while the key is held in START mode. If the test light remains lit after you let the switch return to RUN mode........you have a defective key switch.

o

Let's start by posting model and spec # of the engine along with what part # was replaced. Count the teeth of both pinion gears and see if the match. I've seen wrong starters put on these several times.

o

Tested solenoid contact which was working as needed.

Got my spec data together and was removing starter from engine to count teeth. Seems the half-moon protector strap between attachment bolts was interfering with the operation of the engagement mechanism. Added washers, reinstalled and all works okay. Amazing what you find !!

Again, thanx to responees

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here