Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sharpening mower blades

Posted by bckskin2 5 Il (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 16:00

Has anyone used a belt sander to sharpen mower blades? I am using a real coarse file and diamond hone right now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sharpening mower blades

Yep, Use it all the time works great.

o

Whatever method, just remember not to remove metal from the bottom.
You want the cutting edge to be the lowest part.

o

I use a 4X36" bench top belt sander.
Grizzly.
Just a couple of seconds for each edge.

Bought it for some woodworking,
Fast blade sharpen too. Exhaust port fits standard shop vac

o

One important thing to remember when sharpening blades is to keep them balanced. An imbalanced blade will wear out spindle bearings much faster, in addition to making the whole mower vibrate more. Balancing the blades on your mower is even more critical than balancing the tires on your car, because these blades turn at around 3,000 rpm at full speed.

There are a few good little tools that the homeowner can use to check blade balance. They will all check the blade for gross imbalances (at the level where you'd feel it as vibrations).

I used to mow commercially, and I invested in a pro-grade tool called the Magna-Matic balancer. You mount this on the wall, and it has a ball-bearing'ed cone that engages on the blade's center hole. You turn the blade to be horizontal and then the heavy end will sink. It's so sensitive, you have to turn off your room fans as that will affect the reading. The thing cost $150 a few years ago, so understandably it probably isn't cost-effective for most homeowners. But when you run a set of sweetly balanced blades on your mower, it reminds you of that old Norelco electric shaver commercial from years ago, which showed Santa zipping along on a Norelco over the snow-covered hills, remember that? Awesome.

o

one other important thing - don't sharpen the blade to a knife edge. Easy to do with a sanding setup. Leave a 1/32 flat or so.. OTW blade will easily knick when striking a hard object and be right back out of balance along with a poor cut.
This info from the boys at the Simplicity engrg test lab many moons ago..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here