Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
genx80s

Question about Snapper 30' Model 308X

genx80s
12 years ago

I am looking for a used riding lawn mower. We are on a tight budget so price is a large factor. I am looking for something to at least get me through this grass-cutting season and then next year we may be able to get something else. We are renting a property with over 30+ acres but are only responsible for one acre of the land. I have found a used Sanpper 30" model 308X with a Tecumseh 8HP engine. Cosmetically, it does not look that great (worn, some rust, etc.) but appears to be solid looking. I am only concerned with performance - that it runs and cuts grass. The listing claims that it runs great. I am thinking about going to look at it. Does any know just how old this mower is? I found information online that the 308x replaced the 307 model which was from the 1970s; thus I am assuming that the 308x is from the 1980s?

A few years ago, I owned a front engine riding mower (bought used). This Snapper is a rear engine mower. What differences, if any, can I expect from a rear engine mower?

Comments (6)

• tomplum
    12 years ago

It sounds old. If you are mowing an acre, hopefully it is a nice smooth flat acre or you may want to seek out a front engined unit.

• walt2002
    12 years ago

8 hp Tec. , 30" deck mowing an acre is not something I would recommend.

Walt Conner

• genx80s
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Walt - why would you not recommend it for a acre? Is it due to the 30" deck (take a long time to cut the acre), due to the 8 HP Tec engine, or something else? If it is the deck size, then what is the minimal deck size you would recommend for an acre? I also found a Snapper front engine 33" cut (single blade). The person selling it does not know the exact age but thinks it is somewhere from 1995 - 1998. She said it was given to her brother. She said it runs good and cuts fine but she does not know much about it. She is asking $200. The 30" snapper asking price is $100.

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

I bought a Snapper rear engine rider, way back in 1983. 33 inch deck, 12 H.P. engine, grass catcher, electric start.
    Engine lasted 12 years, then re-powered it, with a good used engine. I mow 3 large lawns with it, and pull a lawn cart. Had to install a new power wheel once.
    Don't spend a lot of money on it, but, if it runs well, pulls ok, and doesn't smoke, A hundred bucks, or even another fifty, would be all i'd pay for it. Ask to try it out first--if it works for that price, buy it. Parts are still available. The 33inch blade is the largest they make, far as i know. Although, an acre of grass is a LOT!
    And, if ya decide to sstay there, then you can get something larger.

• genx80s
    Original Author
    12 years ago

rustyj14 - thanks for the reply. Which one were you saying I should buy - the 30" rear engine Snapper 308X for $100 or the 33" Snapper (it is a front engine) with an asking price of $200 (and see if they will take $100 or $150)?

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

if those machines are older than 6-8 years of age, and look worn, as opposed to looking like they have had good care, and if they start right up and run ok, with no "fiddling" with the controls, the oil is clean, and you are mechanically educated, either from mechanics school, or the schools of experience, or the one called "Hard Knocks," Then you might get away and be lucky!
    It seems that i saw a post with the pictures in it, but i can't locate it. The pics would be enough to make me go buy a new one! When i have a lawn tractor or mower for sale--i make them look very nice. And, they sell. I don't charge a lot for them, and folks understand that they are buying a used machine. I'll give a 30 day promise that they'll get a refund if it blows up before 30 days, but if it was their fault---unh-unh! A discounted refund will apply!

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert