Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lily603

gas cans and mowers

lily603
12 years ago

had to break down and buy a riding mower at the end of the 2011 season. today i spent 3/4 hr. trying to put gas in the d...,.thing. i bought a ''new' spout and it would not fit into the screw cap, so drip drip. got out the one that came with it and have NO idea how to get the gas out. then decided just to pour from can to mower---lots of gas on mower, shed floor and me. then, forgetting what i (was supposed) to learn last fall, started cutting the grass. and i forgot--nowadays, i cannot mow in reverse. to back up i have to turn off the blades, shift to R, and back up--otherwise the engine stops. who is the genius that comes up with these NEW and better (?) ideas. i turned 80 this year and have managed to take care of my mowers, clean filters and change oil, put back belts that slip off, and actually fill my mower without polluting everything nearby. now i am stumped and do not feel like learning yet again another how to do it the govt way. anyone know where i can buy a blackmarket gas can?

Comments (13)

• rcmoser
    12 years ago

Thanks to all the hungry lawyers with all their lawsuits and liberal judge that awares these cases for being stupid. This what you get as result. Now that you got to cycle the elect. clutch 100s more times year soon it will wear out and the repairman will be happy.

I would just buy big funnel. If you got have old gas can might try garage sales or flea markets.

• bill_kapaun
    12 years ago

Sure there isn't a reverse mow switch that's part of the key switch?

You didn't mention Brand, model etc. so I guess YOU know what you bought.

"i bought a ''new' spout and it would not fit into the screw cap"

Hope you weren't filling the engine crankcase??

• andyma_gw
    12 years ago

I feel your pain, sir. About 5 yrs ago, I ran out of gas. The nearest gas station/quickee mart sold me a 2 gallon jug with the new "safe" spout. Luckily, I had a funnel in the trunk. My attempt to do it right, resulted in exactly what happened to you. I have never used the darn thing since.

• lily603
    Original Author
    12 years ago

to Orygun ui laughed at your comments put gas in the crankshaft????? great goodness...how did you come up wiuth that? the spout that came with the can is the one i couldnot figure out how to get the gas out of (may my english teach forgive me)...so bought a new spout - that didn't fit. did not think of taking the gas can with full head of gas into home depot to check that problem out. tyo all the others, i quickly bought a BIG funnel and will use that in the future. no doubt the lawyers/lawmakers are putting their kids thro college with the money reaped from their handiwork...and my degree is worthless in today's cumbersome world thanks every one but orygan

• tomplum
    12 years ago

These spouts can be tough to actually use is true. Your plan sounds like a good one to have them show how it works. Maybe you could find a used plastic can at a thrift store or something, rinse it out and let it dry. It would be nice to have an easy to use can. I suspect from Mr Orygun's past posts that he has been around the block a time or two as well. People have been known to pour fuel where it didn't belong! BEst of luck.

• SamuelR
    11 years ago

lily603 there is a brand of gas can "no-spill" the 5 gallon version has 2 handles a vertical and a horizontal there is an external spring loaded push botton valve/cap nice and easy. a bit pricey, but w/ the price of fuel... it may eventually pay for itself

• grass1950
    11 years ago

Not sure whether your issue is with the gas can or themower's tank opening. My problem has become lifting a 5 gal tank. My solution was to buy a syphon used to fill home karosene heaters. Works great.

• mowntx
    11 years ago

I know exactly what you meant about the new style gas cans... the last one I bought has some sort of valve that only works when you catch the lip of the nozzle on the gas tank opening, then you push down with the whole can and it fills! very cumbersome and bad design. I have one of the gas cans described above. It has a nozzle you twist to enable and then when you stick it in the can and hold down it just works, when the tank is full it automagically shuts off. I use one and home and keep one to fill my boat motor.

• lkbum_gw
    11 years ago

One thing I like about my Simplicity Broadmoor is the VERY LARGE fill/cap for the gas tank. You could actually pour directly from the can to mower on this. The fill is about 3" or so in diameter. See photo
    {{gwi:316709}}

• support18
    8 years ago

HMC Industries has a Hy-Pro 15 gallon tank that can be bolted into your truck bed. There is a nozzel on the end of the hose that works great with a lot of our customers. Please look at our website and see if any of this will help you all. www.hmcindustries.com

• tinkerer200
    8 years ago

As said, I would look for a regular can at a garage sale, flea market, etc. I have one of those new safety ones but don't use it.

Walt Conner

• turnage (8a TX)
    8 years ago

There is a company that makes a heavy duty replacement spout for the older plastic gas cans. Their spout only fits cans made before Jan 2009. I guess the government required a change in the neck size for the new nO sPILL gas cans. The kits are called "E-Z Pour Universal Replacement Spout Kit" and run about $10.00 - $12.00. Atwoods & Tractor Supply both sell them.

• dennyind
    8 years ago

Some AG stores (like Rural King) sell replacement spouts for the older fuel cans, and sell the new style less user friendly fuel cans too. $9.99 everyday price for the older spouts, less when on sale.