Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
strawberryrose69

craftsman lts 3000

strawberryrose69
10 years ago

I bought this tractor last spring, it was used. paid 350 and it came with 42 in mower deck and 42 inch plow. i need someone to help me fix it.
1. stearingwheel is extremely loose.
2. seat sensor is problematic, i am short and only weigh 140
3. running rough
4. started kicking out of gear on takeoff, once going it seems to be ok.

i have never had a riding mower and cannot afford to buy a new one. i have just under 1 acre and its a hill. it seems that i may have caused the issue with the transmission by not starting off in the right way. i need to know where to find parts and a manual so i can fix it. i am mechanically incline but have never worked on small engines or transmissions.

I live in dubuque iowa so if there is someone around here that could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

I have linked below a site where you can download the manual.

Since it's a Sear's product, you should be able to contact them for help getting parts. I Googled Craftsman YT3000 and found several hits. Once you get the manual, hopefully it will help with the parts you need.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craftsman Gas Powered Riding Lawn Tractor Operator's Manual for Craftsman YT 3000 Lawn Mower

• mownie
    10 years ago

The ONLY way to know exactly which Craftsman machine you are referencing is to post the technical model number found under the seat.
    All those LT, YT, and GT prefix numbers are just marketing numbers and the same model designations are used over and over again from year to year (so long as that model enjoys good sales).
    The technical model number removes any trace of doubt as to how your tractor is built.

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Ditto what mownie says.
    Number should be 917.xxxxxx.

Seat switch might possibly be able to be shimmed/adjusted to provide more positive plunger travel.
    Steering tends to be pretty weak on these, with the various plastic bushings in the wheels and sloppy steering sector etc.
    You pretty much have to look to isolate where the major looseness is. Are the wheels "sloppy" on the axle etc.

• mownie
    10 years ago

And, if this is a manual gear transmission, a lot of time issues of wanting to "jump out of gear on take off" are simply due to the transmission gear selected not actually being fully engaged. You may think it is engaged but the internal parts are only "sitting on the edge of engagement" and the parts get pushed back when you attempt to take off.
    About all I can suggest along that line of thought is to try and keep a push on the shift lever toward the gear you want while you sort of jiggle the clutch pedal up slightly but push it back down. Sometimes that trick will entice the transmission to allow the gears to reach full mesh detent. Since you say it does not jump out once you successfully get going, I think you may not be getting it fully into gear sometimes.

• strawberryrose69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your replies. I noticed that I accidentally typed 3000 instead of 2000. I now have the model number: 917.289101 and serial number: 050109Do12734.

I really appreciate the advice offered. we no longer have a sears in my town and the next closest is more than an hour away. I do not have a the ability to haul it anywhere. i am going to try to find a manual on this thing.

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Re: The seat switch-
    Make sure the connector is fully seated.
    That's likley not the problem, but it's cost effective to check.

IF you didn't get an owners manual with it, you can at east get some "exploded views" at
    searspartsdirect.com

• mownie
    10 years ago

The Sears website indicates that model 917.289101 has a hydrostatic transmission, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say it kicks out of gear on take off.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH