Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicagoerin

need help-what tractor?

chicagoerin
10 years ago

Hi- my parents and I are co buying a riding mower (we live two doors apart. ) We both have flat, 3/4 acre lawns. We don't need anything beyond a good mower (no tilling, plugging, etc) although, it would be great to have something we could plow snow with without too much trouble (chains on tires sound like a pain). We want to spend 2k or less. What brand/size deck/engine do we need? it's all so confusing.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Comments (9)

• mownie
    10 years ago

Whatever you buy, decide and agree in advance which co-owner will be responsible for checking and maintaining the machine (I thought YOU checked the oil!).
    Also decide which owner/user user is to accept the blame when something fails (well, it wasn't doing that until after you used it).

• User
    10 years ago

"We don't need anything beyond a good mower".

You have lots of choices. Along with what Mownie posted you're also buying the dealer. check around and see if there a Lawn & Garden dealer in your area rather than buy at the big box store and Sears cause they offer no service other than taking your money. A good L&G dealer might also arrange for a home demo of a model you like.

" it would be great to have something we could plow snow with without too much trouble (chains on tires sound like a pain)".

Not as modest a request as you make it sound Plowing snow takes a higher grade transmission and weight and almost always chains. The ability to moving anything, whether dirt or snow, is the ultimate test of any tractor whether an entry level rider or a Caterpillar D9.

At $2k you have choices that will definitely plow snow but will not plow snow indefinitely... especially the way it's been snowing this winter.

Rather than plow snow a front mounted snowblower is more effective and far easier on the tractor/rider but a lot more expensive than a blade.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    10 years ago

$2K is a good budget for a lawn mower, when you add "plow snow," you're into a whole different animal and cost structure. A plow, weights, and chains, depending on the model you end up with could be $600-800 if not more. A snow thrower would also require weights and chains and cost significantly more. As was previously pointed out by lurker, an LT will plow snow, but not indefinitely.

I would suggest getting a walk behind snow blower. You didn't seem too interested in putting on chains, with any blade, thrower, etc. depending on the tractor you end up with, you'll be removing, deck, mounting "device," putting on chains and weights, etc. Then the reverse in the spring. Putting on chains is the easiest of these activities.

Good luck,

Ev

• krnuttle
    10 years ago

When you are considering the tractor, don't forget the trailer. While you think it is some thing that would not need, you will find it essential. You effectively have an 1.5 acres, It you are like my family you are doing things together. There is always dirt that is needed on the other lot. bushes that must be moved, mulch that was not intended to be shared but "I could use a little on the peach tree" , etc

I inherited my JD, and took the trailer because it was there, it is now a valuable piece of yard equipment I could not get along with out.

As and example, I have a slope that I would never use the tractor to pull a trailer with dirt up the slope. But the tractor and trailer was invaluable in moving the dirt down the slope, as I had much better control of the load than in a wheelbarrow.

It is like the Dremmel, no one buys one with a specific long term need, but you find every time you turn a round it is the perfect tool for the current job.

• jimmy56_gw (zone 6 PA)
    10 years ago

If it was me I would go alittle higher around $2,500. And look for a john deere X320 or GX345, That should give you enough to plow or blow snow an they are an excellent mower.

• twelvegauge
    10 years ago

Just one old guy's opinion -

In that price range you have lots of options, but you should probably toss the snow plow idea, as most LT's in that range do not have transmissions that can handle that heavy a job. LT's in that price range can handle small trailers, as long as you don't load it too heavy.

I would look for an independent dealer; for me preferably John Deere or Husqvarna, or Snapper for a rear-engine rider (RER.)

With the amount of area you'll be mowing, I'd consider only one- or two-blade machines, as they can make quick work of the mowing, and might go places where a larger mower deck can't get. Two blades require less maintenance than 3, plus you have one less grease area...and that middle blade can be hard to get to. Make sure the deck will go through any gates that you have.

Make sure that all manufacturer-suggested maintenance gets done. Dual ownership and use might tempt one of the partners to get a little sloppy in seeing to proper maintenance. This is most important for reliability and longevity. Many, many problems that occur with these machines are direct results of things so simple as keeping the air filter clean, not letting fuel stand in the carburetor or fuel tank (a good fuel stabilizer can help with this), and oil & filter changes - including checking the oil level every time you go to start the engine. I do believe that many lawn tractors die premature deaths due to lax maintenance.

Like I said, just one fellas take on the the subject.

• moerrr
    10 years ago

I have an out front Grasshopper mower with out front caster wheels. I removed one caster wheel and installed a four foot long angle iron. My mower is now a snow plow.

• moerrr
    10 years ago

I am using this plow for over ten years

• moerrr
    10 years ago

This Grasshopper mower has a hitch in back to pull a cart and the front mower deck can haul a 200 pound load.

Sponsored