Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mocrazy

Craftsman LT 2000 won't run

mocrazy
10 years ago

I have a 2004 Craftsman LT 2000 , model # 917.273143, with a Kohler 17hp engine with OHC and hydro. lifters. The other day it started as usual and then after use it wouldn't start. At first it wouldn't crank, but then it would crank but not start. Here is what I did:
1. changed fuel filter and I have fuel in filter and in carb. bowl
2. removed fuel solenoid
3. cleaned carb
4. new spark plug and confirmed spark
5. pulled valve cover off and inspected lifters and push rods and everything looks solid
6. bypassed the seat switch
7. checked the other safety switches
8. inspected the flywheel and the key is in slot.
9. new battery
I then sprayed starting fluid into the cylinder with the plug out and then replaced plug and tried it. It would fire for a few seconds then quit.
As I was trying to start it one time, I held the key over to the "start" position longer and it started and ran, then I let the key return to the "run" position and it quit as if the key was turned to the "off" position. I repeated this and as long as I held the key in the "start" position the engine would run fine, at high throttle or idle.
My question is: This obviously appears to be a bad ignition switch, but can anyone think of another plausible explanation? I hate just throwing parts at a problem and not actually fixing the problem.
Thanks
And yes, I have already installed a fuel shut-off valve

This post was edited by Mocrazy on Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 18:58

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures