Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman riding mower won't start

Posted by Bennett12 none (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 19:05

I have a 2011 craftsman 42" 19.5 model 247.288841 that won't start and doesn't want to crank over. Last time it ran one minute it's great then the sound of the exhaust got louder and louder and started backfiring. I put new gas, filter, spark plug and most of the time I turn the key an it just clicks and clicks and clicks then it will release and try to start. Has great compression great spark and when I take spark plug out and turn it over it turn over perfectly like it should but once I put the plug back in it doesn't want to turn over. Please help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman riding mower won't start

Did you run over anything right before it started acting up? Possibly the flywheel key has sheared and the timing is off.

o

No I didn't run anything over

o

Pull the valve cover and check the valve clearances.
The engine not wanting to crank over may be due to valves needing adjustment to restore function of compression release.
Don't worry about the flywheel key shearing, that is not something likely to occur on a mower that has a belt driven deck, The concern over shearing a flywheel key by hitting something and stopping the blades is only true in push mowers where the blade mounts directly to the crankshaft. Belt driven blades can't stop the crankshaft quick enough to shear a flywheel key.
The puzzling part of the description is how the exhaust seems to have gotten louder just prior to backfiring.
Start with the valves.

o

After it started getting louder and back firing my first thought was bad gas so I tried draining the gas pulling the line off the fuel filter and it was dripping out very slowly finding out there was a big dead spider stuck on the bottom of the fuel tank so I cleaned all that out and added new gas and sometimes it fires up for a split second but exhaust still loud and backfiring

o

As mownie stated, valve adjustment affects the compression release.
When you remove the valve cover, look for something obviously amiss, such as a push rod having excessive clearance or bent etc. Some of these engines "eat" cam shafts.
Make sure BOTH valves open & close the same amount when rotating the engine.

The engine should be a Briggs 31P677-3373-G2 or G6

o

bennett12 - do you know how to check the valve clearance on that briggs engine?

o

No I do not know how to check the valve clearance

o

Thank you everyone for the words of wisdom, I adjusted the valves and starts right up and runs like new. Thanks again for helping.

o

Thank you for the update and glad you're going again :^)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here