Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ocmoses

Husqvarna YTH 150

ocmoses
13 years ago

I have a Husqvarna YTH 150 tractor with a Kohler Command 15 engine that has been sitting in my barn for about 2 years. The engine will crank and run as long as I pour gas in the carb. I have gas to the fuel pump on the right side of the engine but apparently do not to the carb on the left side. I noticed two screws in the side of the fuel pump. Is the pump repairable with a diaphram or does it just have to be replaced? Listed below is all of the pertinent data on the engine.

Kohler Command 15

Family - SKH426UG2RB

Model no. 41564

Displ (cc)426

Serial No. 2735006591

Comments (8)

• mownie
    13 years ago

***"I have gas to the fuel pump on the right side of the engine but apparently do not to the carb on the left side"***
    Does this mean you have checked to confirm fuel IS NOT being moved by the fuel pump? Or are you making that "assumption" because the engine will run when you feed the carb from a bottle?
    The only way to determine if the fuel pump is at fault is to remove the fuel hose at the carburetor, insert the end of hose into a catch container, and then crank the engine with the starter. If you observe gasoline being delivered from the end of the hose while you are cranking with the starter, the fuel pump is OK.

The carburetor main fuel jet may be clogged with varnish.
    The fuel solenoid might be stuck/clogged.
    Either would give you the same results of running when you feed the carb (actually you are feeding the intake manifold) from a bottle poured into the throat of carb.

Pouring gas into the throat of the carb does not test the functions of the carb.
    You could get the same action by pouring gas into the intake manifold if the carb was removed.

So, test the fuel pump as described above to see if it moves fuel.
    If it moves fuel, then we can go to the carb.
    And, according to the Kohler manual, the fuel pump is not repairable. Kohler offers it as a kit with mounting gasket.
    But test before you go that route, you may have a carb issue.

• ocmoses
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again mownie. I appreciate your help and knowledge. It is good of you to educate those of us who try to work on our own equipment but don't really know how. As a very wise man once told me, "It is a smart man that knows what he's dumb at." I am a carpenter, not a mechanic. Thank you, I'll try your recommendations.
    Ocmoses

• mownie
    13 years ago

Thanks. I appreciate that you understand it is meant to be taken in a educational sort of way.
    My responses tend to be long and windy. But that's just my way.
    I doubt I could change much even if I tried :^)

• funk
    11 years ago

I have a Husqvarna YTH150 about 12 years old. Will only run with coke on and even then it pulses, if I take of choke it will stall. I have a new plug in it, new fuel filter, new air cleaner. I've also blown air back thru gas tank, thinking it may not be getting enough gas. Fuel pump is pumping. removed bottom bowl on carb and spray alot of brakelclean thru any holes I could see thinking something is plugged. Now thinking carb needs to be replaced, any help!!!

• funk
    11 years ago

I have a Husqvarna YTH150 about 12 years old. Will only run with coke on and even then it pulses, if I take of choke it will stall. I have a new plug in it, new fuel filter, new air cleaner. I've also blown air back thru gas tank, thinking it may not be getting enough gas. Fuel pump is pumping. removed bottom bowl on carb and spray alot of brakelclean thru any holes I could see thinking something is plugged. Now thinking carb needs to be replaced, any help!!!

• mownie
    11 years ago

Brake clean?
    Get a spray can of Gumout carb cleaner and try cleaning the carb again.
    It works best if you take the carb off so you can actually see all the holes you need to be cleaning out.
    Good to use a stiff piece of fine steel wire (like used to attach some tags to merchandise) to probe all the small holes.
    If you have compressed air to blow out afterward, so much the better.
    If you want me to I can post this 3 times :^)

• funk
    11 years ago

Hey...give me a break, it's my first post! Thanks I'll remove and do a more complete job

• mownie
    11 years ago

And if the carb has a fuel solenoid, make sure the plunger of the solenoid is free and bounces back out when you push it in with a finger tip.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting