Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ocmoses

Manufacture date of a Briggs and Stratton engine

ocmoses
13 years ago

How do you determine the manufacture date of a B&S engine? I have the Model # and the Code #.

Comments (7)

• mownie
    13 years ago

Pictures
    {{gwi:317491}}
    {{gwi:317492}}

• briggsgalaxieman
    13 years ago

Mownie....nice chart. Do you have any more details on the 'Type' numbers (other than 'certain unique features.....")?

• mownie
    13 years ago

***"any more details on the "Type" numbers (other than "certain unique features"?"***
    No, at least as far as I'm concerned. So far as I can tell, the Type Number is used to select the correct Illustrated Parts List, and then furthermore........to choose the correct part from inside that specific Illustrated Parts List.
    It is certain that somewhere in the Briggs & Stratton corporate offices, some department has a master listing of the differences of specific components, but I do not know if Briggs has ever offered the data to the public (except for using the Type #s in IPLs).
    The best I have ever been able to do with type numbers is to just try to always be certain that I pick the correct part from the IPL regarding the Type Number of the subject engine. Sometimes that can be daunting if there is a sizable group of type numbers to pore through to see if MINE is included.

• ocmoses
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks mownie!
    The chart is superb. I am going to save and print and put in my equipment manual notebook.

I am looking at an 18 hp opposing twin engine (now I know it is a 1995 model)to replace the 16.5 hp B&S that just quit on me. I also have someone that has a 13.5 hp vangard block assembly that HE says is the same as my 16.5 hp. HE said that the difference is in the carb. Any thoughts?

• walt2002
    13 years ago

There are so many different B&S engines in this range that you have to post the model numbers of the engines in question to know what the differences are.

Walt Conner

• bill_kapaun
    13 years ago

"I also have someone that has a 13.5 hp vangard block assembly that HE says is the same as my 16.5 hp. HE said that the difference is in the carb. Any thoughts? "

Refering to the chart, at least look at the first 2 digits of the model# for the displacement.

IF they are the same, then you'll have to download the IPL's for BOTH engines from Briggs and compare individual part#'s. Things such as crankshaft, pistons, head etc.

• ocmoses
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info. I really wonder if it is worth the aggravation of swapping parts rather than just buying a complete engine and mounting it and start mowing.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor