Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhjo51

Kohler CV15S wont start

rhjo51
12 years ago

Guys, I have a "spare" Kohler CV15s engine that I wanted to see if it was good so I swapped it on my JD LT155. Getting gas, has spark, compression seems good, cranks and cranks, but nothing. Wont even sputter on starting fluid. I plulle the flywheel to see if the keyway was OK and it was - everything seems fine. Any ideas? I'm scratching my head. Thanks - Jim

Comments (7)

• tomplum
    12 years ago

I didn't know they sold them pairs! :) The thought of how you are checking for spark comes to mind. Perchance have you tried a different spark plug? It would be possible that things such as a different harness or that if your replacement engine has solenoid below the carb that either isn't getting power or is stuck. BUT, it should fire if it has spark at the proper time, compression and fuel. What is the history with this engine?

• rhjo51
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello, thanks for responding. I had picked up another JD LT155 "parts" tractor because I needed a hood, and I was told the engine was bad. Someone had messed around with the carb, and I found the fuel pump was installed wrong. Hate to trow away a possibly good engine, so as part of my testing I swapped in the carb and spark plug from my good engine. Odd that I have spark, and even when I give it some starting fluid it's just not even sputtering.

• rhjo51
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The previous owner also messed around with the wiring on the engine - the wires from the stator and to the tractor wiring harness are basically not hooked up. The engine has spark when cranking and I assumed the other wiring not being hooked up would only affect the charging system, and not affect starting the engine. Bad assumption? Thanks - Jim

• walt2002
    12 years ago

"wiring harness are basically not hooked up."
    "I assumed the other wiring not being hooked up would only affect the charging system, and not affect starting the engine. Bad assumption?"

As Tomplum said above, depends on whether it has a solenoid on the bottom of carb. IF it does, this MUST have 12 to it to operate. You should hear it click when 12V applied.

Walt Conner

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Does the replacement have a SAM on the side of the blower housing? Like a 2x3" plastic cover with a few wires feeding out?

• rhjo51
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No solenoid on the carb, and it doesn't have the SAM ignition.

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Well, if you know it has spark- you don't really have a way of telling that it is at the right time. As long as you have a donor- swap coils. They are timed by a cd in the coil that definitely goes wacky on these from time to time. Can you get an actual compression reading to see what you've at least not got?

Sponsored