Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jhamma66

Need inexpensive narrow riding mower suggestion

jhamma66
10 years ago

First post!

Flat ground, 41" gate that needs to be driven through. I'm looking for inexpensive riding mower options that will work on my 1/3 acre yard.

We did the math on how much we've spent on landscaping and a new mower is our best option. I looked at Personal Pace mowing to make it easy on my wife but we see a riding mower as a decent investment.

We don't necessarily need mulching (dogs track green pawprints) or anything particularly fancy. Trying to stay well under $1000 if at all possible.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

• larso1
    10 years ago

You should probably be looking at something like a used Toro rider, around 11.5HP and 32-in. wide deck like this:

{{gwi:317589}}

• mla2ofus
    10 years ago

I have an older 30" Dixon ZTR I traded for and love it. I changed bearings in the cone transmission this winter and it wasn't too tough to do.
    Mike

• dennyin
    10 years ago

A used snapper mower, 28 or 30".

• twelvegauge
    10 years ago

That's a pretty low price point for any new rider. I suggest shopping for a used Snapper rear-engine rider (RER). New ones start around $1400, so you might be able to find a recent model for under $1,000. The Snapper RER is a machine that has been around for more than 25 years - an old design, tried and true; it's as close to bullet proof as any consumer rider available. If you have a Snapper dealer in your area, he might have some used machines on hand. Best luck.

• gewf631
    10 years ago

I'm in the Chicago-area, and it's pretty easy to find used tractors with 36-38" decks on Craigslist or local want ads.

Most of these are made by MTD, so whether it be Craftsman, Yard Machine, low-end Cub Cadet, Bolens, etc., they're all pretty much the same.

You don't necessarily have to be mechanically-inclined if you look around for one that's well taken care of. Heck, Sears even has several new models, including a couple RER under $1000.

I'll suggest that maybe with an acre, you might find a small tractor useful. Maybe to tow a cart, or for a little extra you can add a blade to the front for pushing snow. It's easy to get caught-up in the 'bigger is better' mindset, but take a bigger look at your outdoor chores, and see if maybe something a little more than a riding lawn mower, wouldn't make sense.

• wheely_boy
    10 years ago

Here is one.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:317588}}

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    10 years ago

If I read the OP correctly, "1/3 acre yard." That's textbook for a walk behind, manual or self propelled. Not knowing the layout, but you're probably going to be spending a lot of time turning with any type of rider, even the new tight turn units.

"Investment" was also mentioned, at that price point, new bottom of the line, or used RER, if you consider an investment something you continue to put money in.... :-)

Good luck,

Ev