Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Briggs and Stratton 25hp Intek Smoking Intermittently

Posted by Bucky205 none (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 23:18

This one doesn't smoke all the time but will smoke moderately for a minute or two and then clear up and come back in a minute or two. I read the post on the wet/dry compression test, I am going to try it as soon as I can lay hands on a gauge. Any ideas would be appreciated. Also does anyone know if they sell a rebuild kit for 4457770168E1.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Briggs and Stratton 25hp Intek Smoking Intermittently

The first thing you should do is see if the engine oil is overfull and/or smells strongly of gasoline.
Mike

o

Also, what color is the smoke. Black is running too rich, blue is burning oil, etc., etc..

o

No smell of gasoline in the oil. Smoke is blue in color. Neighbor walked over an he said he had the same mower, and that they have trouble with rings. I may have got a lemon and at the least being stuck with a rebuild.

o

I'd check for a blown head gasket.
You can remove a valve cover, start the engine and look for a "mist" blowing out at the gasket toward the push rods.
Have a rag handy.

o

Thanks Bill, I will try and check for a blown head gasket tomorrow, Monday at the latest. They are calling for a lot of rain tomorrow. If anyone has a copy of the repair manual, it would be greatly appreciated.

o

Suggest you follow Bill's suggestion. I can send you a Service Manual if you like, address below, put in proper format and remind me, model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

o

Here, see if this link works.

Here is a link that might be useful: manual

o

Thanks guys, looking more and more like rings. Trying to find out if there is a complete rebuild kit or if you have to pull the parts together yourself. Or what is the minimum I can get away with for parts. Cylinder gaskets, rings and head gasket?

o

What leads you to believe that there is a ring problem? Are there signs of dirt ingestion past the air filter?

o

Rings??? Who said Rings????

o

Seems odd to me too.

o

His neighbor said rings.

o

Were there 5 of them, only 4 lit up?

o

Sorry guys, been out of town for a bit. I think the neighbor felt it may be rings because of his past experience with this engine. I'm still out of town and haven't gotten to work on it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here