Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dandan77_gw

Craftsman LT1000

dandan77
13 years ago

I have a Craftsman LT1000 with a Briggs and Stratton engine model 42E707 Type 2275 E1. The mower has not run in an a little over a year, and I decided this past weekend to pull it out and get it running since my Snapper rear engine rider has a transmission that is on it's last leg. My brother originally took the cover off the engine and determined that there was no spark, so I purchased a new armature-magneto and installed per instructions given by my local repair shop. After the installation I was able to get the engine to fire and run for a couple of seconds before I noticed gas leaking on the floor of my basement. At that point I located a crack in the tank, and order a new replacement gas tank, fuel line, and inline fuel filter. I replaced all of the above fuel components this evening. I had to charge the battery using a schumacher automatic trickle charger. The charger indicated that the battery was fully charged, but when I attempted to start the mower the engine flooded. I had to remove the plugs and dry them out. After that I had to turn the engine over for about twenty to thirty seconds before it finally fired and started running. I let the mower run for a few minutes and purged the transmission per the owners manual. I shut the engine off to engage the transmission, and when I went to restart, the engine would not run. The battery went dead fairly quick the second time around, and I never got the mower to run again. Could it be that the battery being weak was not turning the engine fast enough to generate the required current to fire the spark plugs, or does anyone think that I have a different problem? Any suggestions on getting this mower running right would be appreciated.

Comments (7)

• rustyj14
    13 years ago

Most any lawn tractor battery more than two seasons old, will most likely give you problems.
    With all of the starting and stopping, the lead plates shed their covering of lead, far faster than a car battery!

• bill_kapaun
    13 years ago

Most likely, that tractor has only a 3 amp battery charging system.
    Posting the 917.xxxxxx would make it easier to verify that.
    Look in your manual for the charging spec's on (about?) page 5

• dandan77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys, I tested the battery and it is good but a little weak with only an 80% charge. I have the battery on my trickle charger again, and will try again in the morning.

• dws0107
    13 years ago

if you have not found the problem i have a possible answer
    one is the batt. 2 check the cylonoid under the carb with the plug unplug the wire take the cyl. off and check to make sure the pin is not stuck if it is the gas will not flow thru to let the engine run you can clean it with carb cleaner when it is free it will spring back when you push it down hop;e thiks helps

• dandan77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The mower is running. I cut grass with it for a few hours this afternoon. In all I replaced the fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel filter, impulse tube, magneto, air filter, and spark plugs. The latest reason the engine wouldn't start was the fact that the float was sticking in the carb and the old gas has varnished and clogged one of the jets. After a good cleaning, the mower will fire right up and run. The only problem I'm having now is after the engine runs for a while it starts sputtering a little like a misfire, but I never feel any decrease in power. If I put the mower on a slow idle it will surge. Trying to figure that one out now, thinking something is up with the governor on the mower. Any ideas on the latest problem would be appreciated.

• mownie
    13 years ago

Lots of engines in this genre will surge somewhat at idle. Not necessarily a bad thing unless it hampers you when parking it in the shed (or other ultra low speed operations). On the other hand, the high speed stutter and the low idle surge might be due to partial clooging of the pilot jet (idle jet).
    Add some Seafoam fuel treatment to your fuel to help dissolve any lingering traces of varnish.

• flh80_sbcglobal_net
    12 years ago

I have a Crastman LT1000 that ran fine until pulling out to use this week. Started up fine a little trouble getting into reverse and then off I went for about 5 minutes and then the drive locked up and now it seems like it is stuck between gears and will not roll at all, clutch in or out. I am thinking that it is something in the transmission because it wants to go but can't any ideas

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994