Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ttreat

John Deere 445 won't start

ttreat
15 years ago

My 445 suddenly quit yesterday and now it won't start. Here is what I know. It has about 375 hrs. It turns over fine and I took the valve cover off and the valves seem to operate correctly so I don't think it is a bad cam gear. I checked the fuses and all are good. I disconnected the pressure side fuel supply from the tank and don't have any fuel pressure. The center light in the dash does not light up when I turn on the key. I also only have the green light on the board on the side of the dash. I also have no spark. Can someone help?

Comments (9)

• ttreat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I figured on trying to replace the time delay module but can't find this anywhere on the tractor. The part number is AM128906. Does anyone know where this is physically located on a JD 445?

• engine_tech
    15 years ago

There is no TDC on a 445. Given that statement (and please take this the right way) I highly warn against "throwing parts" at a 445 to solve the problem. You can drop some serious $$$ on components and then find it's something very simple. Thorough diagnostics are needed.

Since you are not getting the EFI light, nor fuel pump operation, nor spark, it sounds like your EFI module is not working. There is a fuse specifically for the EFI module, and it's not one of the two on the circuit board (where the green light is). By the way, the green means "all go" for start, so your safety systems are OK. I don't remember the exact location of the EFI fuse, but it's in a separate rubber holder that branches off the harness. It may have a rubber cap on it. It is in the circuit board area under the dash. Dig around behind there and look for it. It's a 15 amp I think.

• ttreat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The time delay module replacement was suggested by the John Deere dealer. They said that they have replaced many of them on the 445 and my problem seems consistent with a bad time delay module. I can't exactly get the tractor to the dealer. It won't start and I have a bucket on it. If it doesn't exist, why does the JD catalog have a part listed?

• jdd332d
    15 years ago

That part is only listed for the 425 using jdparts online. I think I'd return the part and find a new dealer. Engine_tech has provided some good advice.

• dale53
    15 years ago

John Deere 445 was running just fine, then it started to act like it wasn`t getting fuel. Now it won`t start. I changed the fuel filter. There`s no fuel coming out of the line by the carburator. All fuses are good. All the lights come on when trying to start the tractor, but you can`t hear the sound that the fuel pump usually makes while waiting for the light to go out. If you have a schematic it would help alot.

Thanks,
    Dale

• jeffinia
    15 years ago

on the right side ( as your sitting on it) Take off the side panel and behind the dash about 4" below the dash is a red fuse. This fuse may look good but the fuse holder is probably not making good contact. This is the fuse for the fuel pump. if your not hearing it, it isn`t getting power.

• corwin522
    15 years ago

If you can't find the fuel pump fuse it may not have one. If you do not hear the pump running check and wiggle the connections. This worked on my John Deere 425. One of the wires coming from ignition may not be making a good connection to the fuel pump. Maybe someone else will post a better post with the wire color from ignition to the fuel pump.

• dannysale1
    8 years ago

I am having same issue as dale53. I have checked everything and what I find out is no power to fuel pump. Checked fuses, relay switches all ok. What I did fine was one of the wires to relay is not letting relay work right and I think it is a ground . Haven't figured out where it is coming from because of wire harness. Did dale 53 figure out anything?

• landrumjeffrey
    7 years ago

I have a 97 John deer 445 parked it last year put battery tender on for winter I tried to start and battery was dead I replaced battery and now cranks won't start no fire to either spark plug fuel pump cycles when key is turned on the green light on side does not illuminate but will quickly flash when I stop cranking engine any help out there about this?

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm