Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevc1970

White Ride on mower, clunking...

KevC1970
11 years ago

Hey guys,

I've got a mid 90's White (MTD) ride-on mower that has a problem.

First off, I thought it was the drive chains slipping on the axle sprockets and so I replaced the 4 bronze axle bushings. While they were worn badly, it didn't solve the problem. So now I'm thinking the problem may be inside the transmission housing...?

Symptoms are - a loud clunking from the rear of the mower when the mower is under load. I can feel the clunking, almose as if a chain or cog is slipping somewhere. The clunking is accompanied by a rather harsh jolt. the frequency of the clunking/jolt varies. sometimes its one clunk per second, and other times its only the odd occurence. Some days I dont have any clunks at all...

I over used the mower for towing trailers and other garden implements before I bought my Kubota B7100 and so I have probably pushed the little mower beyond its design intent.

I haven't cracked open the casings yet, but I wanted to ask you folks first to see if any of you have been down this road before me and perhaps y'all have some foresight... This might be a common fault? Maybe the problem is elsewhere. As I said, I haven't torn into the machine too far yet. I'll probably get it opened up this weekend.

Theres a label on the transaxle with MTD part number 618-0167. An exploded diagram with part numbers would be really helpful if one of you guys would be so good.

thanks,

Kevin

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u194/Blagadain/WHITEET-13.jpg

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County