Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dak11_gw

Used Ferris Opinions

dak11
10 years ago

(Hopefully this is the correct forum)

I have an offer to purchase a 2010 IS500Z with only 86 hours for $3100. Seller says the mower was not used for commercial mowing (kind of obvious given the hours), runs great, and starts right up.
The only downside is that he says he removed the front of the mower deck to cut 1 foot tall corn to make a maze and that they had the front reattached professionally by a professional welder. They posted a pic of the welding job and based on that it obvious where they welded.

I'm not a mower expert, my current mower is a 10 year old craftman tractor, so I was looking for opinions on if this is a good deal and if there's anything else I should check on the machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (8)

• rcbe
    10 years ago

a good pix of that deck cut and reweld area would be helpful...

• mownie
    10 years ago

Ditto on rcbe remark!

• dak11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One of the concerns that someone brought up is that it sounds like they might have been trying to use this as a brush hog and what kind of wear and tear it might have done on the engine, spindles, and belts.

• always_beezee
    10 years ago

I blew the picture up a little bit more.

If that was "professionally welded" , I wouldn't want to employ that person. Look on the right side of the weld and you will see what we would call "chicken scratching".

On the upper right side of the picture, why is the paint a yellow color as if it had been worn off. It just doesn't look right. With 81 hours on it, it shouldn't have any paint gone.

If that deck is built like my Exmark Lazer Z, 3/16" thick if my memory is correct, it had to be abused to tear it apart.

Personally I would walk away from it. Spindles might be bent, frame could have fractures in it that haven't been discovered yet, nope I would find something else.

I see that it sold on Ebay for $3200. Good luck to that person.

Didn't know that if you use the Edit feature that you would loose your picture.

This post was edited by always-beezee on Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 15:41

• mownie
    10 years ago

The lack of quality in that "weld" job would make me very leery.
    When that weld breaks loose the entire welded panel is apt to go right into the blades. I don't need to paint that picture for you, do I?

• rcbe
    10 years ago

ditto on above comments plus the first thought thru my mind upon seeing the pix was cold weld.

• dak11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys.

Looks like I'm going to pass. Hard given the name on the mower but you guys (and others) have brought up good points as to why I should walk away.

• hippy
    10 years ago

As far as Ferris goes. They are one of the best riding and cutting Z-turn mowers that you can buy. I have owned eXmark, Dixie's and Hustlers. I would not whizz on a used Ferris for a truck load of brand new of those three.

$3500 for a 2010 ISO500 seems a bit high to me. Even with the low hours.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia