Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjsm5nys

Plug vs. Spike aerators?

cjsm5nys
14 years ago

Plug vs. Spike aerators

Why would someone use one over the other?

I know what these are but not the benefits of each. I have thought about getting a aerator to improve the over all health of my lawn/soil.

Thanks

Comments (17)

• wheelhorse_of_course
    14 years ago

As usual, Mownie's dissertation is right-on.

A few additional points

The plug aerator leaves little turds (plugs) on the lawn and therefore may temporarily offend you (depending on your sensibilities.

However, if you are going organic (or low chemical) these little turds will help cause bio-activity at the top level. This will serve to reduce thatch build up and promote healthy growth.

• cjsm5nys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys. I'll opt for the plug aerator. I think a 48inch from JD, Brinley and Agri-fab run about 250-300.

• barncats
    14 years ago

Plug is best. The dirt turds disappear after a week or so unless you decide to use your lawn roller after you aerate in hopes it will hasten the disappearing process. Trust me - it doesn't.

• donc_1966
    14 years ago

Another thing to consider, Plug aerators require a more substantial tractor to pull because of the resistance caused by the weight necessary to penetrate the soil. I use 180 lbs of weight on my Brinley aerator on clay soil.

Don

{{gwi:318275}}

{{gwi:318276}}

• raichovasilev
    12 years ago

Plug aerators are far better than normal spikes, they are efficient and as the name says they aerate the lawn :) @ mownie has give the best detail and you should go for aerator, you can buy one new/used or rent one from your local home depot tool rental.

• rcbe
    12 years ago

shill ?

• nick0001
    9 years ago

Is it even worth it to use a spike aerator? I found one for $100 and thought if I used it twice a year it'd be worth it but if it doesn't even benefit the lawn, there's no point.

• lt150
    9 years ago

Might want to check if your lawn tractor is capable of handling a 48" core aerator. Adding the extra weight along with the core aerator itself could damage your tractor.

• leafeanator
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I bought a plug aerator 20+ years ago (Brinly) and the first weekend I had it I aerated about 10 yards of co-workers. Made enough money in two days to pay for it plus some profit. Only service on my Brinley has been a set of tines I wore out. Made a box for it to fill with water for whatever weight I want

Also added a winch to raise and lower it from the drivers seat for going over sidewalks and driveways

• leafeanator
    9 years ago

Here is the winch in action, changed to a better limit switch later.

• wheelhorse_of_course
    9 years ago

Nice leafenator. I had never thought of offsetting the higher cost of the plug aerator by doing paid work, but I like it. You can still give the neighbors a good deal and still raise the money.

• leafeanator
    9 years ago

Just watch out for sprinkler systems, I put a hole in one of my lines last fall.

• wheelhorse_of_course
    9 years ago

Yeah, that could be a problem!

• sirjuice
    8 years ago

Any issues breaking or damaging sprinkler heads?

• leafeanator
    8 years ago

Mark the heads and go around them. The lines should be deep enough to not worry about. I had a line shallow by my buried utilities that I punctured.

• backinthesaddleagain
    8 years ago

A core aerator is by far more effective. However, the comments relative to needing a more robust tractor are valid...specifically with regard to the transmission. Some light duty lawn tractor transmissions may not be up to it. Most machines have enough HP. Also....you want to do core aerating when the turf is soaked with water and soft. The tines penetrate better / deeper than when it's dry and hard.

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone