Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
PTO Lever will not stay engaged

Posted by mideis79 Florida (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 9:43

Hello I have a Troy-Bilt Pony tractor (13WN77KS011) I bought used. I did all the necessary cleaning and changing (oil, air filter, spark plug, pto belt). The problem is when I engage the PTO lever, it springs back to the disengage status. It feels there is to much tension on the spring. All the springs are parts are in their place. What is the issue? I even took out the PTO bearings and it stayed in the engage status with the expense of the lever twisted at an angle. This did not physically twist the actual metal just the position of it. Thanks ahead of time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: PTO Lever will not stay engaged

It is possible that the wrong belt has been installed, and won't allow the handle to flop into the engage position.
Rustyj14

o

I think it's likely that the belt is not installed properly, as in you put it on the wrong side of the idler. If one of your pulleys doesn't look exactly like all the others, the BACK SIDE of the belt probably needs to go against that odd-ball one.

o

Is the engagement cable routed Ok on top of the deck IE not on top of the brake link. 954-04060b is the belt #. Also, many of these engagement arms on the top of the deck can fit either a 38 or 42 and will mount different and use different spring holes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here