Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bri0822

John Deere D-100

bri0822
12 years ago

Does anyone have experience with a John Deere D100? In particular, will this machine be at least somewhat reliable in the long run? My lawn is a little under 1 acre and is a pretty easy mow except for 2 short hills. I know the D100 is Deere's low end mower but I'm hoping it will be sufficient for my yard. On the other hand, if the low end riding mowers will be nothing but problems, I'd just as soon stay with a walk behind . Thanks.

Comments (12)

• twelvegauge
    12 years ago

I have a Deere low-end tractor (STX38, discontinued about 10 years ago) that I use regularly and it's still plugging along - it is about 18 years old. Secret is don't abuse it, and be SURE to do the preventative maintenance. Keep air filter clean, change the oil, grease at all the zerks, keep cooling fins clean, regularly use Stabil or Seafoam - and whatever else the owner's manual says. Many lawn tractors that die a premature death were actually murdered by their owners.

• User
    12 years ago

"Many lawn tractors that die a premature death were actually murdered by their owners"

Truer words were never spoken...

• EricBarney
    12 years ago

If it is nice and smooth, that will help the lightweight mower last as well. A rough surface like my Florida yard will kill all but the toughest tractors.

• psoup04
    11 years ago

I have basically the same question about entry-level rider mowers. I'm tired of walking behind and I'm getting older so mowing for 1hr, 45 minutes is too long. I have one hill, just the height of one floor of my house. I have about 1/3 acre.

I am looking at Simplicity with a "floating deck" it's $2600, 1 cylinder, Regent EX is the style. I have looked at Craftsman, Husquvarna. I'm confused. I want something that will be trouble free and I take good care of my machines and tools. The walk behind is a used (bought it at a yard sale) Cub Cadet and I hate it.

Also, I have a brand new lawn. Should I mow with a mulcher, bagger or none?

Thanks

• User
    11 years ago

In real estate its' location, location, location and with riding mowers it's DEALER, DEALER, DEALER if you don't want to be wrenching on your rider.

Simplicity riders are a quality product even at the extry level. They are generally more expensive than the box store riders. Their (franchised) dealers are well trained and should stock the more popular parts, but there are exceptions for every rule and you ought to check the reputation in the community of any local dealer for any brand before you plunk down your cash.

Simplicity's roller deck is commonly revered as the deck with the best cut in the industry but that's only true if your lawn is FLAT. Since the roller deck is a ground following design bumpy terrain can drive it crazy and cause a lousy cut.

You might look at the up model Regent with the twin engine... smoother than a thumper.

JMO

• EricBarney
    11 years ago

I do recommend visiting a lawn mower dealer that sells to professional landscapers. Take a look at their inventory, and ask about the proper type of equipment for your lawn.

I have purchased several tools from one of these dealers, and have also been temped by the BB store prices. After trying it both ways, the pro store wins my business. The tools consistantly out perform, and outlast the cheaper tools by such a large margin. The value is obvious. They are also much more enjoyable to use.

When I got my John Deere LX188, (A High quality mower that was never available in a BB store) I went from dreading the tall grass, to doing rain dances so it would grow back sooner, just so I could fire up the tractor again! Years later, I still love to get on it, and mow!

• SamuelR
    11 years ago

psoup04.... mulching is best for your lawn, as it adds organic matter back into the soil... it feeds the soil which feeds the grass. the trouble w/ that is when mulching one has to be conscious of the height of the turf, tall grass doesn't mulch well. also nothing to dispose of when the job is done

• wheely_boy
    11 years ago

You didn't mention the part where you have to mow it 2-3 times a week during the heaving growing season in order for mulching to work.

• BeeRadGee
    11 years ago

These are questions to consider:

Will this mower be used for other than personal mowing? - Is your flat acreage smooth and rock-free? - are there many (or will there be) shrubs/bushes/trees/obstacles? - available storage room for unit (they do not do very well if left out in the weather espesialy in extreme hot or cold) - does the dealer offer full support (important for those breakdowns/repairs if you dont know how to repair

Anyhow - post of my Rules for buying new equipment...

1. Carefully evaluate the size mower you need and buy at least one size larger (For Example if you think you need a 28Hp get a 30Hp instead).

2. NEVER buy a mower from ANYPLACE that will not let you test drive it or at least a similar model. Ergonomics are just as important as performance and capability. (Vitally important!)

3. DO NOT base your purchase on price or brand name alone! Do proper research and find all of the available models that fit your criteria and haggle,save,or trade to get the right equipment for the job. Pick up a couple of extra residential yards to earn extra bucks. It is absolutely important that you do not compromise because of the price of your mower!!!!

If you follow these three tips you will end up a happy camper with just the right mower for the job. If you disregard this advice your gonna end up with One or the other of the following 2 problems:

A. Buyers remorse. Stuck with a piece of junk that is overpriced or simply a unit inadequate for the task at hand.

Or..

B. A pissed off spouse when you start shopping for another tractor just 3 - 6 months down the road because you didn't buy the right unit in the first place. (In my experience 2 or more acres a diesel model is best they are very tough and low maintenence).

Good Luck With The Choice You Make And May It Last Many Seasons....

• rcbe
    11 years ago

BeeRadGee - unless your "prior" handle was Slammer, those buying rules are not yours.
    Slammer posted them here many years ago. Give credit where credit is due.

• BeeRadGee
    11 years ago

Actually it is copied and copyrited from lawncaremillionaire.com a website that sells books with this advise on page 357 in the buyers guide on buying new and used equipment and it is also on their webpage and thats where he got them from. Ive had this book over 15 years.

• mownie
    11 years ago

Maybe that explains why slammer does not post here any longer..........he must have gotten thrown into the slammer for copyright violations.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville