Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garden tractor selection help

Posted by erickson13455 z4 WI (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 9:45

Hi all,
I currently own a JD GT245 that I am keeping. I am looking into getting a bigger garden tractor. I want to get something a little bigger to move dirt, till, plow, snowblow, and mow the lawn. I have 5 acres. I see a wheel horse D-160, a cub 2165, and JD 320 near me. All have mower decks and blowers. Any opinions on these units or what else should I look for. I am not opposed to buying an older unit. Attachment friendly units would be nice. Looking to spend under $2000.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garden tractor selection help

• Posted by larso1 So. CO Zone 5 (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 11:27

You need some serious weight and power to move dirt, till and plow. Personally, if I were you I'd use the GT you have to mow the lawn and maybe blow snow. And then I'd buy a used vintage utility (smaller size, low profile) tractor like a Ford (600 and 800 series), Massey (135, 35), Case (430), etc. They're out there, they're relatively inexpensive, will last another generation, and can easily handle your dirt work that they were designed for. Plus, they're fun to use....

o

• Posted by gewf631 Chicago NW Burb (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 7:45

I have a Cub 2166 (the 2165's twin with smaller tires), and would never even think of using it to plow (dirt, I assume). I think this machine is smaller than your GT245.
You should have no trouble finding a good used tractor (assuming you have some place to store it), and since the mounts are universal (3-pt hitch), the cost of most attachments will be significantly less.

o

I have been leaning towards getting the Wheelhorse D-160. It has a 3pt, and seems heavy duty. Any one have any experience with these machines. It has the 16 horse onan engine. I am not familiar with these either. Any thing to look at to check it is in OK shape. Seems like the the 3pt and deck work, transmissions seems OK. The Deck is rusted through in 2 spots and needs some patches welded on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here