Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taylorkh

Scag touch up paint alternatives

taylorkh
11 years ago

I ran over a land mine a couple of days ago with my Freedom Z. Well at least something which whipped around, knocked some paint off the right rear wheel and punctured the tire in 3 places. The tire is fixed but I wanted to touch up the paint.

I stopped by the dealer where I purchased the machine. He had Scag touch up paint for $16.50 a can. Give me a break. It is an excellent machine but I am not looking to touch up a Ferrari. I told the dealer thanks but no thanks. My grass doesn't care what color the wheels are. Actually that price was lower than what I have found on the 'net :-(

I checked at Tractor Supply and Agri-suppply. They have touch up paint for REAL machinery such as Deere, Case, Alice Chalmers, etc. but I guess Scag is not popular enough for them to make paint in this color. I saw some "pumpkin orange" at Wally-World which looked close. I guess I need to take a small part off the machine next time I head there so I can compare it to the cap. Or I might just paint the wheels purple for a little bling :-)

Anyone have a second source for Scag colored paint?

Thanks,

Ken

Comments (4)

• larso1
    11 years ago

What I do is bring in a part I want paint matched to our local paint shop that specializes in auto paint, have them scan it and mix up a pint can. It's almost always the exact color. But I doubt you'll get it for less than $16.00.

• mownie
    11 years ago

Oh the pain of buying "niche market" paint.
    An alternative to removing a part from the machine and carrying the part to the paint for comparison.............go to a home improvement center and browse their paint dept "chip sample" cards for colors that you think are close......then take the chip card (or booklet) to the machine where you can actually lay the card color right on a painted surface of the machine.
    You can fold or bend the paper of the card so that the specific color you have in mind is at the edge and that way you can see the point of contact matching properties easily.
    Once you have a color match you can live with, mark the card color and then carry the card with you to search for the color in stores.
    You don't necessarily have to limit your search to aerosol cans either. You can buy oil based or acrylic paints that brush on and do a satisfactory job.
    A couple of sources of "touch up paint" that might not normally be explored for OPE paint are:
    The automotive paint shelves in well stocked auto parts stores. There you can find the little bottles with a brush-in-can applicator.
    The paint racks in hobby and craft shops, especially the kind of hobby shops that sell plastic scale models.
    The small size bottles make it feasible to experiment with "tinting" if you want to try for a perfect match. Most of the shops with that type of paint have a color chart on display so you could just put your chip on their chart to judge the match.

• taylorkh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks larso1, But I am not looking for a MORE expensive option. I was hoping someone had after market Scag color paint. If I was going to have the whole machine painted it might be worth having the paint custom mixed. But then again Scag Gold (orange?) is really a rather nasty color. Sort of like a bright orange Bad Boy ZRT left out in the sun to fade for 20 years. The Scag machine is great but the Corporate color is nothing to write home about.

And thanks mownie 7. I may check out the color charts at (s)Lowes next time I am by that way. As I recall they had some "designer" color spray paint at one time. Not sure if it was serious enamel or not. Or I may just paint the wheels John Deere yellow. I think I have a couple of cans of that left over from doing the wheels on my 1983 JD 314.

Ken

• rustyj14
    11 years ago

OY--such problems! Are those fancy wheels never going to be touched again by bushes, sticks, stones, or dogs doing business on them? Why not remove the wheels, have a paint shop paint them black, or another color-something that will have a recipe in the automotive refinishing lists, and then you will have the colors' statistics, for future references! And, won't have to pay outrageous prices for the mfgr's color! SHEESH!
    RJ

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville